Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Dominic Lawson on the attitude of the British Government to chess in a piece by Leon Watson.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... h-supremo/
The English Chess Federation has been campaigning for years on the issue to get chess events made exempt from VAT and compete for Lottery funding.
By the historic accident of chess being organised by independent local organisations and individuals when VAT was introduced, most chess events are already exempt from VAT by virtue of the exemptions for business and other organisations with a low turnover.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:17 am

The BCF started campaigning on this matter in 1981.
The matter then of VAT having to be levied was just an irritation. That we did not receive support from the Sports Council was also unimportant, we received support from the government, first the Department of Education and Science and then the Department for Culture, Media nd Sport.

Then when the national lottery came in, we could not get much funding from that, not being a sport, art, charity or heritage.
Then we lost our government grant.

The hope now rests with the European Court and the case Bridge has brought. That worked for Golf. Their VAT reclaim was huge. Ours would be small. We would have to fight with the sports organisation about getting funding from SportEngland. We would have to fight with the lottery funding to get support from them. In the latter case, we have had had very little success.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi Stewart,

I saw 'The Chess Player' today.

Enjoyed it, Excellent.

"It would be good to get this performed rather nearer home."

In the programme there is a wee footnote.

If you interested in brining THE CHESS PLAYER to your theatre please feel free to contact me:

(I'll PM you his email in case u-know-who wants to know how you put on a chess play.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:25 pm

Any chess connections on Channel 4's Child Genius this year?

If the press reporting is anything to go by, it's getting too intense for its own good.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ssure.html

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:20 am

I have seen all but the first episode this series. There doesn't seem to be a chess strong child, which is unusual. Occasionally you see the children playing chess. They use some very odd sets, but have used a chess clock.
The children are not selected by the programe makers as the ones who are going to perform best in the tests. They are selected as who will give the most dramatic impact and thus be good TV fodder. You can expect a number of pushy parents. That makes for good TV.
Hopefully, sooner rather than later, somebody will sue the programme for child cruelty.
I have met a parent who told me they auditioned, went part-way through the process and then withdrew, after consultation with their child. They realised it was unhealthy.

GEOFF CHANDLER. You haven't sent me the contact address of THE CHESS PLAYER play. My email address is [email protected]

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:35 am

Hi Stewart,

I sent it to your PM on here.

I have checked my sent box, cannot see it, have sent another.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Gary Kasparov is interviewed this month in Prospect magazine. It's the usual (self-)promotional guff to pump his new book. But one answer caught my eye:

Q. The talent you wish you had?

A. To draw

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 pm

Like Leonardo da Vinci? Or Anish Giri?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:21 pm

QUEEN OF KATWE is showing on the Disney Channel from 17.50. Well worth catching even if seen before.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:41 am

TV ad for VITABIOTICS had a young child playing chess.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:59 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:TV ad for VITABIOTICS had a young child playing chess.
That one was mentioned here a while ago. I was distressed that the child shunting the chess pieces around was destined to become a lawyer.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Patticake$

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/s ... -macdonald

Up and coming rapper finds herself in the home of one of the world’s most successful rap artist. To my surprise - although apparently not hers - he has a chess set on his living room table.

He’s rather rude.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Must listen to Perpetual Chess Podcast this month https://www.perpetualchesspod.com/

Hello everyone,
GM Danny Gormally has got to be the most brutally honest Grandmaster in the world. He talked candidly about the challenges of life as a chess pro and his attempts to limit his alcohol consumption during important tournaments.. This was a really interesting talk that gives a lot of insight into what it's like to try to support yourself with chess tournament winnings. Click here to listen to it.
PS I finally made a Patreon page, so if anyone would like to donate to support the podcast it would be much appreciated, and it would give you the opportunity to submit questions to upcoming guests. Thanks everyone, see you next week,
Ben
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 pm

Chap who made a biscuit chess set just won star baker on Great British Bake Off - great pieces but the square colouring was .... let's say original.