Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Gary Kenworthy

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:53 am

Typo: Nov 1971 (not 81) for Fischer v Petroshan- the semi-finals. Before Iceland.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:31 am

Just making for accurate and followable -
Nov 1971 (semis) was Fischer-Petroshan, Aug -ish 1972 (final) Fischer Spasski.
1978 (finals) Karpov - Korchnoi - Baguio City.

Francis Fields

Post by Francis Fields » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:08 pm

A chess story from BBC.

Phiona Mutesi, who grew up in Katwe slum in Uganda's capital Kampala, has become the subject of a Disney movie.

The Queen of Katwe tells how she dropped out of school early, but started playing chess aged nine, becoming a grandmaster. It stars Oscar winner Ny'ongo and British born Nigerian actor David Oyelowo.

She tells BBC Africa she hopes her story will inspire others.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:14 pm

Francis Fields wrote:becoming a grandmaster.
WCM doesn't have quite the same dramatic tag.

https://ratings.fide.com/search.phtml?s ... =0&front=1

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:42 pm

Nick Grey

Stephen Fry was excellent in covering the Olympiad.
That was a one-off 1988?

There was one BBC show chess against the nation but as I was at Wood Green with the moves in case the lines failed I have no Idea how the live show went - nor anyone taping it on VHS for me..
I have that. It was Jon Speelman and a unique event. You phoned in the moves and used the digital keys to choose your vote. Bill was the commentator and had a dreadful sore throat. It ran well over the scheduled time and BBC2 allowed that to happen. The viewers chose a dreadful losing move and Bill allowed it in order to bring the game to a close.

Thames TV so not sure how much nationally. BBC had usual Bill Hartston.
Thames was local. But one of the series was also shown in the Midlands. I have many of those programmes. Who knows. Had people written in, as I requested, asking for the programmes to be shown in their area, possibly...

We can no longer generate the viewing figures needed to justify terrestrial TV programmes.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:45 pm

yes of course 1988 Olmypiad - i did put 1998 - thankyou--- bashing out these while trying to do other things - thanks

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 am

From a BBC article on the use of statistics in football:
It is still "the beautiful game", but it is one that increasingly resembles a game of chess.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:49 pm

I used to discuss coaching, coaching techniques, performance, metrics, drive, determination, desire and destiny etc with Premiership Rugby coaches and some of the most qualified soccer coaches around. It does soon strike you that some of the vocabulary is different but actually translates to the same. Some adages and principles are the just same.
BTW Soc is Latin for team. You get all your men working as a team, you control the centre, attack is the best form of defence, you unbundle tight positions slowly, then break, you create and occupy space, you involve or self improves those men not pulling their weight, (or they substitute {exchange/ trade/ swap?] them; you hamper the opposition trying to develop an attack, you defend your goals, strike whilst the iron is hot, seize the initiative and don't waste it (giving the ball away)... the list of ideas goes on.

(get all your men behind the ball (does that mean supporting, with heavy pieces, a rolling central pawn majority?))

As Banks use mathematical modelling for several types of risk, use data warehousing, big data, probabilities, statistical analysis of trade and accounting data etc. Thus, so have other top sports adopted these techniques and dice and slice the data; very true.

It is perfectly reasonable over the years in other shoestring finance sports and pastimes, to use measuring instruments, common understandable units, graph paper and pen, to create proven auditable facts on measurements. Such as performance data, differentiate data that grades events and their participants. Naturally with newer technology you can take this further.
In chess we have seemed to have slowed down and nearly stagnated in the field of junior chess, (in these islands) as a method of identification and as a target setting tool, and a development tool. Pretty good though on international adult events.

Have a think, rather than just be amused and bemused as other sports regard chess as a high accolade label to describe their best, toughest, challenging description of their sport. Something to build upon?
- rgds - GK

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:06 am

I don't think we have stagnated in junior chess. The problem lies in advancing the sport. So many people give up at 9, 11, 16 or 18. Society does not set a high status for chess by comparison with football. But Chess in Schools and Communities has made great strides at the beginner level.
But what about tennis? Well, I was astounded by how few female coaches there are in Britain and how few female players. Remember the days we had female Wimbledon Champions?
By comparison, Senior (50+) chess seems to be thriving by comparison with the turn of the century. That is substantially because of the advances made in senior international chess.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:36 am

There's an interesting article in today's The Times reporting the findings of an article in the journal Intelligence suggesting that strong chess players are more inherently intelligent than weaker ones:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chess ... -2v8fl2hxb

This nature v nurture debate has been running for nearly a century, the article points out; I don't imagine that this will be the final word on the subject.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:08 am

Stewart Reuben wrote: By comparison, Senior (50+) chess seems to be thriving by comparison with the turn of the century. That is substantially because of the advances made in senior international chess.
Isn't that rather more to do with the sheer number of players under 30 in say 1975 as distinct from 1965?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:18 pm

Roger, no doubt that is another factor. As is the age demographics after the Second World War - the baby boomers.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:06 am

She's Gaga for chess - today's The Sun. It's nice to have some uplifting news when I'm on a big downer about life, health & chess.

Lady Gaga has revealed the unusual skill she looks for in a man. She needs someone who knows his way around a chess board.

She said: "I like to play chess, I think it's fun".

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:31 am

Nick Grey wrote:She's Gaga for chess - today's The Sun. It's nice to have some uplifting news when I'm on a big downer about life, health & chess.

Lady Gaga has revealed the unusual skill she looks for in a man. She needs someone who knows his way around a chess board.

She said: "I like to play chess, I think it's fun".
http://chess-db.com/public/pinfo.jsp?id=7000087136
http://chess-db.com/public/tournament.jsp?id=256646 :lol:

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:19 am

Apparently in New Scientist
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com