Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Spotted on EastEnders:

[Episode broadcast 24/03/2015, at around 06:35]

Ian (to Bobby): "You've got chess club tonight. Remember what we practised while we were away? Centre control and occupation, alright?"

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:04 am

There was a whole segment of chessplay on Eastenders some years ago that was a running theme. If I remember correctly, the chess advisor was the then BCF Publicity Director.
Coronation Street had a similar series quite recently.
Hollyoaks actually consulted me, but changed the whole plot and used none of my material.
Neighbours had such a series.
Usually chess is shown with quite a good image.
It was featured in Outnumbered for only one episode.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:24 am

I enjoyed the Chess segment in Corri (have no choice about watching it anyway) I was hoping it would lead to Roy starting a Chess club after hours in the café - He has a poster up for Tuesday night whist but you never actually see it.

Chess and Hollyoaks… Oh dear….
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 am

Jon Mahony wrote:I enjoyed the Chess segment in Corri (have no choice about watching it anyway) I was hoping it would lead to Roy starting a Chess club after hours in the café - He has a poster up for Tuesday night whist but you never actually see it.
Well yes, they approached the MCF in order to do it properly, and I think Matthew enjoyed his time on set and did a good job with the chess they showed on screen

Next time you are over in Manchester, Jon, I can see if I can get you to meet Matthew and talk about it with him :)

Maybe you can get chess into Emmerdale, there are enough quality people in Yorkshire chess to help them get it right
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:35 am

For a long time, there used to be a clip in the Neighbours title sequence of Paul Robinson playing chess with his son.

I hasten to add that I have no choice about watching Neighbours.... it could be worse though, at least that is the only soap that my wife watches. :)

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:56 am

'Chess News Roundup' on The Daily Show last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-urVIOVJ9w.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:23 am

Ian Kingston wrote:'Chess News Roundup' on The Daily Show last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-urVIOVJ9w.
Seems that the presenter doesn't have a clue who the current World Champion is, but he assumes that it must be a Russian! :?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:10 am

In th Daily Show was the Board round the wrong way deliberately?
I thought it was quite funny. Especially where the Afro-American said, 'I'm white so I move first.' Response, 'I'm Jewish so I'll move second.

By the way, how many people realise we have gained IM Daniel Fernadez for England from Singapore very recently? He hadn't realised the transfer had been made until I took a look on the FIDE website. I know Wesley So was seeking to change from PHI to USA. The impetus for both came from the player, not the federation, in both cases.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:11 pm

"For a long time, there used to be a clip in the Neighbours title sequence of Paul Robinson playing chess with his son."

In the Neighbours tournament, Zeke was eagerly practising beforehand, playing through games from a book, going 1.e4 c5, 2.Nf3 d6, 3.d4 cxd4, 4.Nxd4 Nf6 and shutting the book hurriedly with a cry, "It's too difficult - I'll never remember that!" Then he arrives at the event and produces a very quick win, which from memory was the famous Reti-Tartower game. So there was someone involved who knew what they were doing...

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:I enjoyed the Chess segment in Corri (have no choice about watching it anyway) I was hoping it would lead to Roy starting a Chess club after hours in the café - He has a poster up for Tuesday night whist but you never actually see it.
Well yes, they approached the MCF in order to do it properly, and I think Matthew enjoyed his time on set and did a good job with the chess they showed on screen

Next time you are over in Manchester, Jon, I can see if I can get you to meet Matthew and talk about it with him :)

Maybe you can get chess into Emmerdale, there are enough quality people in Yorkshire chess to help them get it right
Yeah definitely mick, I would be very interested to hear about that :)

I wonder who thought of Mary’s classic line “Hayley, I’ve just mated your husband… TWICE!”

Can’t abide Emmerdale, so I think that ones out - Though I see Zach Dingle quite a lot on Friday nights in Leeds (usually boozed up and playing a mouth organ :roll:)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:11 am

Unusual use of chess props for an entirely non-chess related documentary video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR2RDwh ... e=youtu.be

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:34 am

Very odd indeed. 4 boards set up correctly all with the commentator on the Black side. Right at the end Paul concludes by reaching across and playing 1 e4 on one board.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 am

Letter in Tuesday's Times.
The relative popularity of football compared with rugby is easily explained by two analogies - classical v pop music and chess v draughts.

The author John Prince might find that easy, I am totally bemused.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Not sure if it counts as media, but I can't be bothered to start a new entry.

Mitchell McLenaghan (New Zealand cricketer) tweeted that he loved Indian TV, accompanied by a screenshot of Anand - Aronian, https://instagram.com/p/1JHwGZPqXn/

The hashtags #grandmastermitch #chessforlife might suggest he's serious, but maybe not...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:13 am

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com