The second most famous Armenian?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michael Jones

The second most famous Armenian?

Post by Michael Jones » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 am

Aronian being suggested as a role model for any Armenians not so keen on Kardashian...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20932705

Reg Clucas

Re: The second most famous Armenian?

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 pm

I'd never heard of her until I saw that article yesterday. I think Tigran Petrosian is more famous than both of them.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes, Tiger Pete was the first name which popped into my head too :D

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Lev Aronian is better-looking. No?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:27 pm

David Robertson wrote:Lev Aronian is better-looking. No?
Than Kim Kardashian or Tigran Petrosian?

(This could get quite surreal very quickly...)

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Does no-one in Armenia view Gary Kimovich Kasparov as sort of Armenian any more? I always understood his mother was Armenian, which would make him at least as Armenian as Ms Kardashian. I sort of recall that in the early 80s Gary K was friendly with Iron Tigan and his wife Rona, and had the Armenians (as well as Azeris) very much in his corner when he was taking on Karpov.

Ah well, celebrity is all. And I dare say Gary Kimovich is less popular and well known now he is a sort of political figure than when he was world chess champion...

Anyway, Aronian seems a nice guy, as well as an excellent chess player, so you could do a lot worse as a role model. Though you do wonder if, like that other talented Armenian player Rafi Vaganian, he is a bit TOO normal and well-balanced to be obsessive enough to reach No. 1.

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 am

Well; Kasparov was born in Azerbaijan and lived there for his early life so that would immediately kybosh claims of Armenianness, but Kaspy himself has always felt himself to be a Russian.

Colin Patterson

Post by Colin Patterson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Have we ruled out David Dickinson then? A bit of a scally in his youth, but very popular with the more mature lady these days.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:10 am

Dan O'Dowd wrote:Well; Kasparov was born in Azerbaijan and lived there for his early life so that would immediately kybosh claims of Armenianness, but Kaspy himself has always felt himself to be a Russian.
The most accurate description of Gazza's ethincity is possibly Russo-Armenian Jew (from Baku :wink: )?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote: The most accurate description of Gazza's ethincity is possibly Russo-Armenian Jew (from Baku :wink: )?
It's known that his name was changed from Weinstein, but it took the Russian form of Kasparov instead of the Armenian form of Kasparian ( as in the problemist , Petros ian and Aron ian)

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:52 am

Haven't you heard of Cher (Cherilyn Sarkisian) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher or Charles Aznavour (Shahnour Vaghenag Aznavourian? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Aznavour?

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:04 am

More significant (though perhaps nowadays less well-known) than any of the aforementioned would be the Mikoyan brothers.

The elder, Anastas Ivanovich (1895-1978) was a leading Soviet politician for over forty years, surviving near the top from the time of Lenin until the early days of the Brezhnev era. For a time he was the second most powerful figure in the USSR after Krushchev.

His younger brother Artem (1905-70) was an aircraft designer, who in partnership with Mikhail Iosifovich Gurevich (no relation as far as I know to chess GM Mikhail Naumovich Gurevich) was responsible for many of the famous MiG fighter planes.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 am

Doesn't Britain have its own Armenian chess connection via Mike Basman? Did I read somewhere that his father was a Basmadjian, and that Mike had spent a couple of years living in Yerevan and even won the city championship? Or is that a chess urban legend?

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:35 am

AustinElliott wrote:Doesn't Britain have its own Armenian chess connection via Mike Basman? Did I read somewhere that his father was a Basmadjian, and that Mike had spent a couple of years living in Yerevan and even won the city championship? Or is that a chess urban legend?
You are correct, Austin.

Warren Kingston

Post by Warren Kingston » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:51 pm

I think SOAD are brilliant.