Chess row in Cork

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:20 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote: 5 - The matter was reported to FIDE for further action
To whom in FIDE does one report such things?
In the first case, it was to Mikko Markkula, Roberto Rivello and also to the ratings email address within FIDE. In the second case, it was to Ignatius Leong and your goodself.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:23 pm

Ethical violations are reported to Ignatius Leong? #deathofsatire
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote: 5 - The matter was reported to FIDE for further action
To whom in FIDE does one report such things?
In the first case, it was to Mikko Markkula, Roberto Rivello and also to the ratings email address within FIDE. In the second case, it was to Ignatius Leong and your goodself.
The first case is probably water under the bridge now, since FIDE really didn't know what to do about such things. They are hardly worthy of a full Ethics investigation, which would not get anywhere. We now have the Anti-Cheating Commission, and if the second case did not reach them, I shall make sure that it does. This is exactly what they are supposed to be doing.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:44 pm

NickFaulks wrote:The first case is probably water under the bridge now, since FIDE really didn't know what to do about such things. They are hardly worthy of a full Ethics investigation, which would not get anywhere. We now have the Anti-Cheating Commission, and if the second case did not reach them, I shall make sure that it does. This is exactly what they are supposed to be doing.
Thanks. To be fair, the second case might also pre-date the Anti-Cheating Commission.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:57 pm

I’ve noticed at several tournaments I’ve played in the last 2 years, the same junior and father pair - the father sits in the bar or analysis room, with Fritz permanently running on his laptop, and the young lad at various intervals visits his father between moves… am I the only one who finds that a little bit suspect? :shock:

Yet, aside from a few players whispering about it, no one seems to question them that I've seen.

I can't condone Gabriel's use of force towards a junior, yet one can understand his anger, in the heat of the moment his actions are understandable if not justifiable.

It would be very hard for the arbiter to fully punish the young man, if he was given time to switch off and pocket the iphone / tablet - if he had, then I agree with the scenario given a few pages ago - it would have basically been a slap on the wrist, confiscation of the iphone and return to your game - the kid would have lost his next game, but that wouldn't have been a lot of good to Gabriel, forced to return to his computer-aided lost position at the board.

He probably acted more out of split second desperation, in the knowledge of this (as looking for a witness first, suggests) than anything else.

I'm afraid with handheld technology getting better and better all the time, this is the way things are going and we will be hearing of a lot more similar cases in the next few years. If some solution isn't devised, then OTB chess will be going the way as serious Correspondence Chess.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:I’ve noticed at several tournaments I’ve played in the last 2 years, the same junior and father pair - the father sits in the bar or analysis room, with Fritz permanently running on his laptop, and the young lad at various intervals visits his father between moves… am I the only one who finds that a little bit suspect?
Suspect or not it absolutely shouldn’t be happening.

The point is not so much 'you shouldn’t do this because I think you’re cheating', but more 'you shouldn’t do this because it’s not appropriate'. It’s obviously problematic even if we knew for sure that the pair aren’t cheating or intending to cheat. I’d suggest bringing this to the attention of an arbiter next time around.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:08 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:I’ve noticed at several tournaments I’ve played in the last 2 years, the same junior and father pair - the father sits in the bar or analysis room, with Fritz permanently running on his laptop, and the young lad at various intervals visits his father between moves… am I the only one who finds that a little bit suspect?
I thought players with games in progress were forbidden from visiting the analysis area and objectively that's the only area where computers in use with chess engines should be permitted. You would be well within your rights to object.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
I thought players with games in progress were forbidden from visiting the analysis area and objectively that's the only area where computers in use with chess engines should be permitted. You would be well within your rights to object.
Yes I couldn’t agree more (though granted it hasn’t always been the analysis area, sometimes a venue’s adjoining bar area, where none players are just sitting). Personally I’m not going to get involved until I have to play the young man in question. However I’m amazed someone who has played him hasn’t already, as it is fairly blatant.

Edit: Spelling
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker