From the Guardian on the World Chess Championship

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: From the Guardian on the World Chess Championship

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:01 am

"Andrew Camp wrote:

The author was clearly not at this year's Sheffield Congress when one player stood up and shouted, 'You're just trying to f***** win on time,' before sweeping half his pieces off the board and storming off.

Would that form of words constitute a valid 10.2 claim, if you summoned the arbiter rather than sweeping away the pieces?"

I don't see why not - I would suggest the claimant calmed down though.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:44 am

But in chess we rely more upon more subtle psychological tricks rather than verbal attacks.

Some people, however, will respond with an utterance -verbal or non-verbal- to express their feelings over bad moves played either by or against them, but this is hardly the same thing.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:27 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Can you imagine the recent Chess Championships if one player spent the whole time standing up and shouting abuse in the other's face?

There's a graphic short story (graphic as in 'consists of drawings', not as in 'excessively rude') called Dear Magnus doing the rounds at the moment. In part of it the author describes being verbally sexually harrassed during a game.

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Try playing blitz online, you will find abusive opponents with great regularity. It is so satisfying to beat them, I love crushing the hopes and dreams of such players, especially when they have tried to play an aggressive sharp opening and I have kept it all under control and ground them down in an ending - they really get mad about that, he he.
What site do you play on Joey? I've been playing on playchess.com for the guts of ten years and in that time only one player has given me abuse.
Some schoolkid from Singapore who begged me to let him win so his rating would go up. I explained politely that it was pointless for me to do that, so I continued playing. I was subjected to homophobic abuse for the rest of the game, which I won.
More commonly, possibly around two/three times a year, a player will just stop playing in a lost position, making me wait for their time to run out. Annoying, but not abusive.