Chess Player Pictures

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Chess Player Pictures

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Why is it that over half the pictures I see of chess players look like they have been snapped by paparazzi while nobody is noticing.
Seriously, most of them are taken on the board (where the players are hardly likely to even acknowledge the camera) or across a tournament hall.

Couldn't there be a 5 minute slot before the game where they are asked to pose for these shots - it would look much more flattering then seeing them grimacing all the time.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

MartinCarpenter

Re: Chess Player Pictures

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:07 pm

You mean 'real' chess players or people at congresses? Asking most of the latter to pose for photographs might not be expected to work terribly well :)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:28 pm

OK just to please Joey.

Rule 539.1.1.

At the end of the game when players are handing in their score sheet they must also supply a 'selfie'.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Remember the good old days when Chess Masters posed for an official photograph on the Town Hall steps, or the University College, etc. Always before the first round, of course. Too many grumpy faces after the last round. 20 to 100 years later, we can all enjoy identifying the players.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:53 pm

That's what opening ceremonies are for. Get the photoshoots out of the way at the start, then concentrate on the actual chess.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:04 am

"Remember the good old days when Chess Masters posed for an official photograph on the Town Hall steps."

The 1920 British Championship was held at the Edinburgh University, here is the pre-tourny picture.

The winner was R.H.V. Scott. (standing 2nd from the right )

As I live a few hundred yards from the university I thought I'd find out where they took the picture.

It was here.

So I....

(there is one missing....Carl)

That was me, I took the picture.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:21 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:"Remember the good old days when Chess Masters posed for an official photograph on the Town Hall steps."

The 1920 British Championship was held at the Edinburgh University, here is the pre-tourny picture.

The winner was R.H.V. Scott. (standing 2nd from the right )

As I live a few hundred yards from the university I thought I'd find out where they took the picture.

It was here.

So I....

Nice photograph. Roland Henry Vaughan Scott won the Hampstead Club Championship in 1913 and 1914. He was badly gassed during WW1, which could explain his loss of hair. He was only 31 years of age when he won the British Championship. First photograph I have seen of P. Wenman, the Problemist.

(there is one missing....Carl)

That was me, I took the picture.