Dominic Lawson

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MartinCarpenter

Re: Dominic Lawson

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:06 am

Its a very impressive system, NGS. Rather prone to randomness while they had the k factor equivalent up high to get it calibrated but rather less so now. Basically partnership grade based yes, but bridge strength fundamentally is partnership based. If you play with lots of people you'll get an individual grade but it'll definitely be a little bit down on what you'd get in an organised, regular partnership.

Masterpoints are very good at getting money off people and perfectly rubbish at anything else :) One reason they work so well is that they can have swiss events and give the higher rank of masterpoints away for every match you draw or win. Seems to somehow act as a major incentive for people to enter the weekend congress equivalents. A tiny bit like grading prizes except everyone gets a few and there's no cost involved!

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:39 am

Dominic Lawson interviews Magnus Carlsen in today's Sunday Times. Magnus says "If chess were mathematical I probably wouldn't be any good at it at all." As Magnus won't be playing at this year's London Chess Classic he might as well pop along to the Chess and Mathematics Conference where he might change his mind.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:20 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:Say about 150 English players in the Premier league + 20 per club in the 2nd & 3rd tiers - 20 X 48 = 960.

150 + 960 = 1110 players at a very rough approximation.

Is Stewart in the top 1110 English chess players?

The database ranks him at 926
If the argument is based on a simple "Xth in the country" then you might as well just say "Xth in the country". I would have thought the purpose of using an analogy is because the simple measure is not really valid because "Xth in the country" at football would imply something different to "Xth in the country" at chess. Not least because of the vastly differing levels of participation. More people also have a vague idea of where they personally would stand in terms of footballing ability (both actual and potential) so can relate better to the various levels. If one looks at the English football pyramid at present (and it would have been different 30 years ago) the top tier, and even to some extent the second tier, really have to be pitched at the global level. In chess terms i wouldn't say more than a handful of English players should be considered "premier league" standard.

Maybe most GMs would be 2nd tier/top of third tier. I maybe would put myself in the 4th tier at best.

Playing in the top 4 tiers of English football is still very much an elite that i would guess relatively very few could aspire to. I wouldn't say 1000th in the country at chess (c175 strength) is remotely comparable (although i accept Stewart has modified a bit to reference his strength 50 years ago, rather than today. When incidentally the absence of the influx of players from abroad would suggest a different meaning to the use in the analogy of the 3rd tier of English football).

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Interesting Q as to whether a national or global standard is the correct comparator for chess or football for this particular argument.

Re. football, even the people in the upper-echelon Conference sides represent a level where they are paid, sometimes fairly decently, for playing. Hard to find figures, but £ 250-750/week appears on various websites as an estimate for the Conference contenders. So you could probably add several hundred more players to the 1000 estimated to impact on the national consciousness as 'elite footballers'. 'Paid to play' in sport is a decent index of standard that many people would recognise, I think, even if the player is semi-pro as I presume many of the Conference footballers are.

Thinking about it, I might use that analogy next time someone asks me about what sort of standard of chess I play. Something like:
"If everyone who knows the moves of chess is a bit like anyone who's ever kicked a football at school, and anyone who plays regularly is like someone who plays Sunday park football, then passable level club players like me are sort of like the people who play in the Conference sides. Except we don't get paid."
Now, I reckon if someone had said something like that about the standard of play of (e.g.) John Healy, readers/listeners would have got a realistic take on it.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:59 pm

JustinHorton wrote:The film Barbaric Genius makes the specific claim that "during his chess career John won ten international chess tournaments" and its trailer says he won "10 major British chess titles in 5 years". I don't think these are remotely defensible claims.
I think I can see where the latter claim came from - I could believe that Healy, if he played regularly in w/end congresses, might have won '10 British Major chess titles in 5 years' - as in 'weekend Majors', so U-155/160/165/170 grading limited events. Just drop the Capitalisation, and you get 'major titles'... And if the tournaments claimed they were 'international'.....

Agreed completely that the claim made in the movie is inaccurate as most people would read/interpret the words, but I guess there is a way, see above, that someone could attempt to claim it was factual. So it feels like the same kind of 'obfuscating with words' that advertisers, PR folk, lawyers and politicians go in for.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 pm

Well quite, i.e. retrospectively claiming that the words meant something completely different to what people will have thought they meant.

As it happens, I think he won ten club tournaments.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:29 pm

AustinElliott wrote:Interesting Q as to whether a national or global standard is the correct comparator for chess or football for this particular argument.

Re. football, even the people in the upper-echelon Conference sides represent a level where they are paid, sometimes fairly decently, for playing. Hard to find figures, but £ 250-750/week appears on various websites as an estimate for the Conference contenders. So you could probably add several hundred more players to the 1000 estimated to impact on the national consciousness as 'elite footballers'. 'Paid to play' in sport is a decent index of standard that many people would recognise, I think, even if the player is semi-pro as I presume many of the Conference footballers are.

Thinking about it, I might use that analogy next time someone asks me about what sort of standard of chess I play. Something like:
"If everyone who knows the moves of chess is a bit like anyone who's ever kicked a football at school, and anyone who plays regularly is like someone who plays Sunday park football, then passable level club players like me are sort of like the people who play in the Conference sides. Except we don't get paid."
Well yes, except (at 165 strength) I reckon you'd be rather lower down the pyramid than Conference standard. There's a big gap between "Sunday park football" and Conference sides, which are at the pinnacle of the amateur/semi-professional game. In fact the pyramid doesn't really start to resemble a "pyramid" until you get below the Conference. In the sense of several leagues feeding a higher level. And of course the number of professional chess players in England is miniscule. In the sense of people who earn a living out of playing, as opposed to associated chess activities.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:31 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Well yes, except (at 165 strength) I reckon you'd be rather lower down the pyramid than Conference standard...
I used to be graded higher than that in my teens in the 70s, Richard...! *Sigh*

I'd agree with you in terms of 'serious player-ness', though apparently 165 already means one makes the top 1500 (roughly) on the current ECF grading list... ...which slightly surprises me.

I think it's a pity no-one ever took up Stuart Reuben's suggestion of ECF 200 (or FIDE equivalent) as 'chess expert', as that would be my personal definition of 'elite level amateur' status, and I reckon would also be a popular rule-of-thumb 'status point' with club players. I reckon ECF 200 also works as 'good enough to play in the British Open championship' and 'good enough to have a shot at beatinga master who is having a very bad day'. Back in my youth in the 70s I 'd guess we'd have said something like:

ECF 200 elite amateur player
ECF 180 strong club/county player
ECF 160 good standard club player
ECF 140 solid club player

...etc. Which are not too different from the categories on the ECF master points system, actually, if one ignores the slightly silly titles.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Expert: 40 points higher than self
Standard: Same grade as self
Weak: 40 points lower than self

This rule of thumb works admirably throughout ones chess playing life and for all other chess players below 220.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:48 pm

AustinElliott wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:Well yes, except (at 165 strength) I reckon you'd be rather lower down the pyramid than Conference standard...
What is the equivalent in chess of "i had trials at XYZ as a youngster"? ;)
I'd agree with you in terms of 'serious player-ness', though apparently 165 already means one makes the top 1500 (roughly) on the current ECF grading list... ...which slightly surprises me.

It would be interesting to know where that would have been in the English chess heyday. I suspect the overall distribution hasn't changed much (debates about the 'fixes' in recent years not withstanding), but i would guess the overall numbers were signficantly higher (ie. 1,500 out of c9,000 was 3,000 out of 18,000, or whatever).

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:48 pm

I'd say an IM - assuming that's what's meant by "master" - doesn't need to be having a very bad day to lose to a 200.

Apropos of that last comment, I went onto the FIDE rating site to see who the lowest-rated English IM was.

Well, that was fun.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:57 pm

200 not quite what it once was post the regarding mind.
(all those marks below probably need 5-10 pts adding on nowadays.).

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
AustinElliott wrote:
What is the equivalent in chess of "i had trials at XYZ as a youngster"? ;)
Ouch - good one. Best laugh I've had all weekend.

I shall be plagiarizing that one down the club at some point in the not-so-distant future....

Dan Lambourne

Post by Dan Lambourne » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Well yes, except (at 165 strength) I reckon you'd be rather lower down the pyramid than Conference standard.
If you consider that a conference side can beat a premiership side, admittedly rarely, and that a good club player 180+ can beat a GM, also rarely, I would put 180+ at Conference level, so would only have 165 one level down.

Sunday League football isn't part of the pyramid structure so is more akin to just playing ungraded chess with your friends, rather than being at any level. Occasionally you will get semi professional players in a Sunday league side somewhere, although most of the semi-professional sides will put clauses in their players contracts to stop them doing it.
Richard Bates wrote:What is the equivalent in chess of "i had trials at XYZ as a youngster"? ;)
Surely the equivalent of these were the England trials, or at least they were when I was younger.

Mind you, after talking to some of the youngsters in the Sunday League I play football in, any cash strapped football club will offer trials to youngsters whose pushy parents pay for them, as they get the money and will occasionally find a star player or two without having to go scout for them. This means that the term "having trials at XYZ as a youngster" isn't as meaningful as it was several years ago.

Dan

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:56 pm

The thing I tend to internally reference is actually my break even point in the Yorkshire league - around board 2 if I'm playing reasonably I think. A few too many players on 1 who are definitely better than me :)

I guess if you anchor it in evening leagues/'normal' strength opens and the like then 195+ generally means you'll be board 1 and likely getting a non trivial plus score each season. Around 185 is probably the point where you'll only very rarely play people who genuinely outclass you. Some definitely better of course!

County chess is very messy as a yard stick, because full strength county teams for the top counties are so much stronger in depth than for some of the other people.