chesscafe.com

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mark Donlan

Re: chesscafe.com

Post by Mark Donlan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:24 pm

With regard to the redesign at ChessCafe: Feature content is freely available, as is a monthly From the Archives; column content and archives (in ChessBase, PGN, and PDF formats) requires membership. We find it a reasonable proposition that if you enjoy reading the content at ChessCafe.com, that you support the site with a purchase from our shop. Membership is reimbursed in full via a coupon in our shop, and forthcoming releases are available at a 25% discount! International customers can order ebooks or download software without incurring a shipping charge. We also plan to implement video content in the near future, as well as a playing interface.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Mark Donlan wrote:We find it a reasonable proposition that if you enjoy reading the content at ChessCafe.com, that you support the site with a purchase from our shop. Membership is reimbursed in full via a coupon in our shop.
Maybe, but is it ever advisable to pay for something 6 months before you can buy it? It could be indicative of a business with serious cash flow problems.

Mark Donlan

Post by Mark Donlan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:57 pm

It is designed to reward long-term members and discourage those who would sign up, get a coupon, and then cancel.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:59 pm

No new content (in either the free or paywall areas) since the end of May.......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:No new content (in either the free or paywall areas) since the end of May.......
There wasnt a Checkpoint column for May either, and that is usually released within the first week of the month.

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:34 pm

According to a post in another forum i read, ChessCafe has announced a 3 month break from posting new content.

https://chesscafe.com/the-skittles-room/on-hiatus/

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Perhaps subscribers should announce a three month break from paying their subscriptions.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:45 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Perhaps subscribers should announce a three month break from paying their subscriptions.
I rather think they've paid up front, so are only getting nine months of content.

A principle of fairness would give them fifteen months of access rather than twelve, but a three month suspension would decrease casual visitors to the site, so you wouldn't expect sparkling results from the associated book and equipment business.

Unless there's a new owner with a different business model, I doubt it will recover.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:08 am

Mark Ashley wrote:According to a post in another forum i read, ChessCafe has announced a 3 month break from posting new content.

https://chesscafe.com/the-skittles-room/on-hiatus/
"fallen just shy" - I wonder if that is being *entirely* honest.......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:07 pm

The "on this day" box is being regularly updated again it seems, but no other new content as of yet.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Said updates seem to have ceased on 31 July,,,,,,

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:21 pm

They seem to have resumed again. Still no other new content, though!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:04 pm

The "three month hiatus" was up at the start of this month, but still no sign of new content.

And the "on this day" updates have stopped on August 31.

Just awaiting the last rites now?

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Mark Donlan owes me 300 dollars for my last two articles and has not responded to my emails since mid-June.
Gary Lane told me he only got paid with difficulty.

I consider this a very mean way to treat somebody who contributed to Chess Cafe for years.
(I never had such problems with the original owner, Hanon W. Russell who is a real gent.)

My attempt to contact Donlan via his chessedu.org also met with no response.

I think this answers your question.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:21 pm

I have now removed the site from my bookmarks, and will be surprised if I ever have to reverse that decision.

A great shame :(