The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg: A Parable for our Time

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg: A Parable for our Ti

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: To the best of my knowledge the Northern Membership Scheme Roger refers to was moribund by 2007 so I'm not quite sure what relevance it has here.
It continued as individual county schemes usually referred to as "MO" schemes. This charged £ 12 a year but gave the right to discounts at all tournaments across England only available to others for £ 27 a year. Yorkshire participated as well, members got one-sided grading in leagues that didn't want to have anything to do with the ECF.

I accept what you say about the price of two pints, but it remains the case that some Congress organisers screamed and screamed about having to add the equivalent of the cost of one pint to their entry fees and pass it on the ECF to enable that organisation's continued existence. Do the words "Chess Prevention Tax" come to mind?

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Do the words "Chess Prevention Tax" come to mind?
No.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Does anything else spring to mind?
Don't answer that - it's rhetorical.
Doh, my mind's a blank.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:32 am

Mike Truran wrote:
Mike has tried to ban me and others from playing
Well Matthew, as they say, "Never wrestle with a pig. You'll get dirty and the pig likes it".

Particularly an apparently somewhat dimwitted one.

So I'll pass on this particular altercation if I may. But please carry on with your bizarre accusations as you see fit. I doubt many people are taken in by you.

PS I wonder who the 'feud-monger' is in this particular case? :roll:

PPS You will no doubt remember the personal invitation I gave you to play in the Witney Congress with a free entry - an invitation you rather ungraciously declined. So much for 'trying to ban you from playing'. :shock:
I read with interest the exchange of views between Matthew Turner and Mike Truran. I am reminded of a comment by a former mentor of mine who said chess administration is a thankless task. Matthew appears to prove that.

I largely gave up chess administration last year and one of the factors where the occasional vitriolic attacks from participants in events who took exception with some minor misdemeanour of mine when being an organiser.

In the light of this Matthew you might like to start of your posts with an appreciation of the large amount of time that Mike devotes to the smooth running of 4NCL but also the fact that if you turn up at Witney chess club you will almost certainly find Mike Truran helping a junior understand how to play an opening or teaching a particularly inept player like me how not to lose with black in ten moves. If you did who knows perhaps the response from Mike Truran might be toned down?

Alan Kennedy
former chairman Oxford Chess association and Witney chess club.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:36 am

Alan Kennedy wrote: I largely gave up chess administration last year and one of the factors where the occasional vitriolic attacks from participants in events who took exception with some minor misdemeanour of mine when being an organiser.
That's all very well, but exception can be taken to attacks on the venues arranged by the local counties in the Chiltern Cup. The home venue for Oxford was excluded from censure, but given that one of this season's matches was played at the Coley (as e2e4 always quote it) church hall, you wonder if it meets his approval.

At the risk of being accused of attacking organisers, I didn't play at last year's Witney event, one of the reasons being an objection, learnt from Lancashire and Greater Manchester players, that playing on a school bench isn't comfortable for an afternoon, let alone a whole weekend.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alan Kennedy wrote: I largely gave up chess administration last year and one of the factors where the occasional vitriolic attacks from participants in events who took exception with some minor misdemeanour of mine when being an organiser.
That's all very well, but exception can be taken to attacks on the venues arranged by the local counties in the Chiltern Cup. The home venue for Oxford was excluded from censure, but given that one of this season's matches was played at the Coley (as e2e4 always quote it) church hall, you wonder if it meets his approval.

At the risk of being accused of attacking organisers, I didn't play at last year's Witney event, one of the reasons being an objection, learnt from Lancashire and Greater Manchester players, that playing on a school bench isn't comfortable for an afternoon, let alone a whole weekend.
I have no objection to criticism, it is disproportionate criticism not balanced by praise which is not helpful to inter personal relationships. So Messrs Turner and Coverly bring a little sunshine into the world and tell us what you like about Mike Truran. As regards the school bench I am no longer part of the management of Witney chess club but if I were I would be suggesting special congress prices for not only gold and silver ecf members but also for the special comfy chair rate for players who want to chill whilst playing chess!

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:13 am

One venue in particular, not all of them. Church halls, school halls etc are fine in the main. I play at Cowley's venue at least twice a year in the OCL and have no particular objection to it (except when the heating isn't working in the upstairs room). It could be better, but so could most chess venues.

Not an 'attack', any more than your comment about the Witney Congress is an 'attack'. Criticism? Absolutely. The venue I criticised I considered unacceptable. No doubt others don't, and that is absolutely their right.

Chairs are available on request at the Witney Congress for those who want/need them. I believe most players found the benches fine, and some brought cushions on the second day. Thanks for the reminder though - I should probably include something in next year's entry form.

The general consensus was that despite the benches it was a fine event and a fine venue. We certainly got a lot of nice emails afterwards. We would be honoured if you attended this year's event. I promise not to ban, threaten or intimidate you.