Very late Canditates Master certificate from ECF

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Very late Canditates Master certificate from ECF

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:53 am

Shortly after FIDE started to charge for titles, the BCF introduced the requirement that everybody had to pay for them. It must have been some time after 1976 as Paul Buswell told me FIDE had invoiced the BCF for my IA title. The BCF had refused to pay because no advance warning had been given that there would be a charge.

At a later BCF Council Meeting I proposed that all GMs and IAs should have their titles paid for by the BCF. This was rejected. I still feel the ECF should pay for IA and IO titles as such titleholders usually work selflessly for chess.

FIDE never sent Ray Keene or Julian Simpole their IO title badges. So Ray lost patience, borrowed mine and had two copies made.

Peter Williams. Did your son ever received his CM title badge? You only wrote about his certificate.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:30 am

I have to admit that I have never received anything confirming my CM title (but should I be surprised it is the ECF)

Though the ECF did try to charge me the £60 fee a few of years ago, even though I actually paid for it when it was created

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Peter Williams. Did your son ever received his CM title badge? You only wrote about his certificate.

Yes he did get the CM title badge which Peter took to college.Wonder why it took the ECF so long to send it?

I agree with you IM/GM should have the title paid by the ECF.How about anther vote on it?
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Peter Williams >I agree with you IM/GM should have the title paid by the ECF. How about anther vote on it?<

I think that boat sailed over 30 years ago. The current International Director, David Openshaw, would certainly prefer the money to go to the English teams.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
I think that boat sailed over 30 years ago. The current International Director, David Openshaw, would certainly prefer the money to go to the English teams.
One can always call a boat back to port :wink: I would have thought the ECF could aford to do this after all we do not have loads of people becoming IM/GM in a year.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:46 pm

"FIDE never sent Ray Keene or Julian Simpole their IO title badges. So Ray lost patience, borrowed mine and had two copies made."

Is that two more counts of plagiarism to add the file of misdemeanours?

Can we add petty theft - or was the badge returned?

The case continues...

No, the charges have been dropped and the case dismissed.
The badge in question cannot be plagiarised and is not rare enough to merit even a petty crime.
Though, no doubt, it has great sentimental value to its owner.