Very late Canditates Master certificate from ECF

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Very late Canditates Master certificate from ECF

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: Perhaps, but checking old ratings and Olympiad results ( unlike old norms ) is a trivial task which we are happy to do.
Not that trivial surely. If you had to go back to an old Hastings or Lloyds Bank Masters of the 1980s or 1990s to establish whether someone got past 2200/ 2300 or the female equivalents for one game, you would have to unearth the original cross-table and reverse engineer the rating performance. Still FM and CM titles aren't taken that seriously in England, many players choosing not to ask for them.
You're talking about interim ratings, which are the exception. In those cases, we have always been clear that the federation must do the work and provide full documentation, otherwise they don't get it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:38 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:There's still a faint glimmer of hope for my IM medal and certificate then... ;) :roll:
What reason has been given by the ECF as to why you have not had your IM medal and certificate? As you are an IM FIDE should have had no problem issuing your certificate.
They rang me up over 10 years ago (but still several years after i got my title) to tell me they'd found it in a drawer. However it appeared i had never paid for it (I was never asked for any money) so they said they'd send it when i did. After a bit of complaining i eventually agreed and sent them a cheque. They never completed their side of the deal...

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:There's still a faint glimmer of hope for my IM medal and certificate then... ;) :roll:
What reason has been given by the ECF as to why you have not had your IM medal and certificate? As you are an IM FIDE should have had no problem issuing your certificate.
They rang me up over 10 years ago (but still several years after i got my title) to tell me they'd found it in a drawer. However it appeared i had never paid for it (I was never asked for any money) so they said they'd send it when i did. After a bit of complaining i eventually agreed and sent them a cheque. They never completed their side of the deal...
When did you gain the IM title? IIRC the policy used to be that the E(B)CF paid for IM and GM titles, but not for lower titles (prob. only applies to FM, at the time). I certainly never paid for my title/certificate/badge in 1997, nor was I asked to.

*awaiting invoice* :shock:

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 am

Simon Ansell wrote:

When did you gain the IM title? IIRC the policy used to be that the E(B)CF paid for IM and GM titles, but not for lower titles (prob. only applies to FM, at the time). I certainly never paid for my title/certificate/badge in 1997, nor was I asked to.

I'm too young to remember a time when the E(B)CF paid for titles :wink: I certainly paid for my IM title in 2000 and my FM title whenever it was before that.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Simon Ansell wrote:

I'm too young to remember a time when the E(B)CF paid for titles :wink: I certainly paid for my IM title in 2000 and my FM title whenever it was before that.
My problem is not that I'm too young to remember things, but that I'm starting to get too old too remember things. However, I'll try.

I was BCF International Director from 1995 to 1999. My recollection is that players had to pay for their titles in those days.

There was one exception: titles that were awarded automatically for performances in particular events. In those days FIDE didn't give people the opportunity to decline such titles. I believe that nowadays the player's Federation is asked to confirm that the player wants the title, and that the fee will be paid, before the title is awarded.

Unless Simon's IM title was in this category, I think he may have got away with it - until now. I recently received an invoice for something which I thought the ECF had forgotten.

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:29 am

David Sedgwick wrote: Unless Simon's IM title was in this category, I think he may have got away with it - until now.
Nope, nothing special about my title. It just all happened automatically - there must have been a very efficient International Director at the time ;)

Maybe I should just give Richard my badge and certificate, then everyone will be happy :) I suppose it's possible I'm getting old and my memory is flawed.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Richard Bates wrote: "They rang me up over 10 years ago (but still several years after i got my title) to tell me they'd found it in a drawer. However it appeared i had never paid for it (I was never asked for any money) so they said they'd send it when i did. After a bit of complaining i eventually agreed and sent them a cheque. They never completed their side of the deal".. Richard Bates .
You should make anther complaint to the ECF about this matter you are fully entitled to the IM certificate and i would contact FIDE and tell them you have not had the IM certificate it may be possible FIDE could re issue it to you.( i have always found FIDE officers very helpful when ever i have contacted them) I am wondering if some get certificates quicker because their toady to the right people in the ECF? To me if some one reaches the correct grade and gets the norms the ECF should make dam sure that person gets his certificate and any thing else that goes with it.I do not belive that IM or GM should have to pay for the title and also any players under 18 should not have to pay for FM or CM title.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:To me if some one reaches the correct grade and gets the norms the ECF should make dam sure that person gets his certificate and any thing else that goes with it.I do not belive that IM or GM should have to pay for the title and also any players under 18 should not have to pay for FM or CM title.
Says he, without any conflict of interest whatsoever... :wink:

It's quite reasonable to propose that the ECF should pay for title applications. Have you costed how much the membership fees would need to go up to cover this? Have you looked at areas of expenditure that can be removed in order to accommodate this policy?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: It's quite reasonable to propose that the ECF should pay for title applications. Have you costed how much the membership fees would need to go up to cover this? Have you looked at areas of expenditure that can be removed in order to accommodate this policy?
Given the paucity of new titles at IM/GM level, even including CM/FM for under 18s, it's hardly going to cost anything. For the under 18s, it might even have promotional value. You could finance it out of the budget paid by parents for foreign trips.

Allegedly the Indians used to award a house to anyone gaining the GM title. The ECF cannot go that far, but paying for the titles might be reasonable as a gesture of support.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Given the paucity of new titles at IM/GM level, even including CM/FM for under 18s, it's hardly going to cost anything. For the under 18s, it might even have promotional value. You could finance it out of the budget paid by parents for foreign trips.
Not sure how marketable that is. I bet most people on the cusp of IM status are probably blissfully unaware of what they have to do/pay; the sort of thing they worry about if they qualify for IM status.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Says he, without any conflict of interest whatsoever... :wink:

It's quite reasonable to propose that the ECF should pay for title applications. Have you costed how much the membership fees would need to go up to cover this? Have you looked at areas of expenditure that can be removed in order to accommodate this policy?
We paid in full for the title for Peter so it would be of no financial benfit to us.I am thinking of furture juniors who get to FM or CM by the rating it would be a great encouragment to them if their federation paid for the title.

I do not have assess to the full acounts of the ECF to know how this modest idea would affect the expenditure of the ECF.

Of course if you wish to make me your new President of the ECF i will go thought the accounts with a very keen eye to see where all the money is going and what can be done to mprove the ECF core business processes. :wink:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:Of course if you wish to make me your new President of the ECF i will go thought the accounts with a very keen eye to see where all the money is going and what can be done to improve the ECF core business processes. :wink:
You would absolutely promise not to include your daily dinner menus in the Annual report?

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
You would absolutely promise not to include your daily dinner menus in the Annual report?
The menu would be included after all people should know what their leader is eating tonight it is cheese and Bacon quiche with jacket potatoes :D

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
The menu would be included after all people should know what their leader is eating tonight it is cheese and Bacon quiche with jacket potatoes :D
Just choked on my Maccy D. Very funny. :D

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Simon Ansell wrote:

My problem is not that I'm too young to remember things, but that I'm starting to get too old too remember things. However, I'll try.

I was BCF International Director from 1995 to 1999. My recollection is that players had to pay for their titles in those days.

There was one exception: titles that were awarded automatically for performances in particular events. In those days FIDE didn't give people the opportunity to decline such titles. I believe that nowadays the player's Federation is asked to confirm that the player wants the title, and that the fee will be paid, before the title is awarded.

Unless Simon's IM title was in this category, I think he may have got away with it - until now. I recently received an invoice for something which I thought the ECF had forgotten.
My memory of BCF policy from the early 1980s is that the player had to agree to pay before the BCF put the title application in. Exceptions arose when the player had earned the title from representing England in a FIDE competition or was a BCF selection for an invitation tournament. As I recall the FIDE fees were quite chunky so the BCF couldn't give a blanket guarantee to pay for every title application.

PB