Great Name for a Chess Player

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Moore

Re: Great Name for a Chess Player

Post by John Moore » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Well, that is really exciting! I wish I hadn't started this thread.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:cf now defunct Chess Addicts column in 'Chess'
Resting...

Colin S Crouch

Post by Colin S Crouch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:01 am

E.O.M.C. Teichmann.

The was a rumour that this chess-player was given his unusual name in homage to Albert Einstein. E equals m c squared, amd all that. His parents were academics.
True? Or speculation?

A familiar player in the chess circuit in Britain in the eighties, he eventually ended up down-under, and became a life coach.
In an interview published in 2010, he claimed that with his recent improvement, his play has reached to "perhaps 2410." Close, but a small digit went astray. A year later, he was down to 2312. What's a hundred Elo points between friends?
Last edited by Colin S Crouch on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:24 am

Colin S Crouch wrote:E.O.M.C. Teichmann.

A familiar player in the chess curcuit in Britain in the eighties, he eventually ended up down-under, and became a life coach.

Met him in Benasque a few years back. Apparently he’s a regular there or was up to 2011.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:33 am

And who remembers B F O'Sullivan in the 1960s (70s?)? He entered tournaments either under his own name or as Navilluso, claiming to adopt a different style of play for each name. I don't know how often organisers let him do this, nor what was done about grading.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:07 am

HG Felce used to do all the congress grading on the back of an envelope. The rise of the weekend Swiss put paid to that. He noted Mr Navilluso and graded all his games as O'Sullivan. Brian was quite a character. It would be good to see him again, or even learn about his more recent life.
Several of us young English players played in Istres near Marseilles. But I don't remember whether it was rated.

Bernard Cafferty once pointed out to me that Teichmann was recording his games in the Lloyds Bank Masters in Udemann code. That is a1 is 11, a2 12 and b1 21. There was just one small wrinkle. He was doing it in binary. But he stopped when I told him to.

Andrew Lewis had rather poor hand writing. Several people must have complained. So he made his scoresheets into works of art with the moves written down at all angles.