Hospitality at your chess club

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Blower

Hospitality at your chess club

Post by David Blower » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Just wondering what hospitality do you provide your visiting teams. Normally at Brewood you get a cup of tea provided for you, but is there anything more we could/should do?

And we're not in a pub, so the choice of buying your opponent a pint does not exist for us.

David Gilbert

Re: Hospitality at your chess club

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:15 am

It’s tea, coffee and biscuits - on tap for the duration of the match. Them Pick Up biscuits are really something else, although watch out for the ninja Chihuahua https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a2xvmg4Kag

There’s also a cold water dispenser - and if anyone wants extras (to suck!) there's crisps, peanuts, chocolate or fizzy drinks that can be bought cheaply from one of two vending machines.

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:22 am

Coffee, Coke or similar, cake, all they can eat or drink.

We're not in a pub either, so if anyone wants what passes for beer in these climes, they can buy one from the fridge.

Francis Fields

Post by Francis Fields » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:49 am

At the last club I was a member of all we had for nearly 20 years was tea and coffee. Then along comes a 'Gastarbeitungen' and starts adding the biscuits.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:38 pm

For Saturday matches at York it used to be biscuits and a tea urn. Something vaguely similar is fairly normal in the Yorkshire league.

We've since lost our regular room though and that's all rather fallen by the wayside in the fallout :( Might need to move venue soon I suspect.

There is a bar, although it shuts around the time the games start then doesn't reopen until quite a bit later. Nice for after the match at least.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:13 pm

At club level nothing in over thirty years. For county matches in Beds we sometimes splash out on economy biscuits and polystyrene cups for a cup of scalding hot tea.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:52 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:For Saturday matches at York it used to be biscuits and a tea urn. Something vaguely similar is fairly normal in the Yorkshire league.

We've since lost our regular room though and that's all rather fallen by the wayside in the fallout :( Might need to move venue soon I suspect.

There is a bar, although it shuts around the time the games start then doesn't reopen until quite a bit later. Nice for after the match at least.
Yeah the bar shutting just as you arrive with a raging thirst, was always a tad annoying in York RI - not so bad though as there are several other pubs close at hand, for after the game :)

My main problem with that room was the walk up and down Ben Nevis, if I wanted a quick smoke in the middle of the game :wink:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:25 pm

You should try having to carry fold up tables, chairs, sets etc up/down those stairs just before a match.....

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:30 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:You should try having to carry fold up tables, chairs, sets etc up/down those stairs just before a match.....
I wont if its all the same :lol: All West Leeds has to contend with is a man eating dog which lives in the room next door

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:06 pm

"I wont if its all the same :lol: All West Leeds has to contend with is a man eating dog which lives in the room next door"

I hope you mean "man-eating dog"!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:11 pm

Have you been to Leeds? :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Have you been to Leeds? :wink:
:lol:

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:02 pm

cold-war-cakes.jpg
Each August since 2006 Sutton Coldfield Chess Club and Warley Quinborne Chess Club (both in the Birmingham League) have played a friendly match alternating between their respective home venues.

At the very first match at half-time, along with a few biscuits, cake was served. A year later at the rematch the home club felt obliged to reciprocate. This was the genesis of what quickly become known as the Cold War Cake Match.

Sutton Coldfield CC
http://www.suttonchess.org.uk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:53 am

"Have you been to Leeds? :wink:"

Yes frequently - good point!