Rules question

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Richard Bates

Re: Rules question

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:33 pm

I like analogue clocks in the sort of venues where league chess is generally played. They are quite effective at masking all the various little distractive sounds - chairs scraping, people coughing, doors squeaking... Total silence is the major flaw of going digital.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Regarding the mobile phones rule, the Heywood congress this year seemed to be bad for it - No announcement was made at the start of any round telling anyone to turn their phones off and there were several instances of it happening -

The best one was in round 3, a player in the minor’s phone went off, and far from panicking and attempting to stifle it, as cool as you like he answered it and had a conversation lasting a couple of minutes, while sat at the board! :lol:

Amazingly, despite his board being right next to the arbiters desk, no one admonished him in the slightest!

My opponent’s phone went off in round 5, and again no one said a dickey bird - not that I minded, I managed to win anyway and I would hate to claim a game like that given the choice (though I know under the rules, the arbiter can just tell the offender he has lost, and that's that, I've seen it happen). At least my opponent seemed embarrassed and quickly tried to turn it off, I just smiled and mouthed that it was okay.

Not that this should take away from an otherwise brilliant congress - I had a great weekend, it's a good venue and I saw some people I only see twice or three times a year - for once a played some smashing chess too :)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
for once a played some smashing chess too :)
Wish I could say the same :cry:

[But I did smile at the organiser as promised in another thread!]

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:
for once a played some smashing chess too :)
Wish I could say the same :cry:

[But I did smile at the organiser as promised in another thread!]
I think I’d have fared less well in your section Michael! I did manage to drop a piece in round 3 which cost me my chances of winning it, but 4 out of 5 aint bad :)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker