Chess and Road Cycling

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Thomas

Chess and Road Cycling

Post by Nick Thomas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Are chess players more geeky than road cyclists?

Niall Doran

Re: Chess and Road Cycling

Post by Niall Doran » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:46 pm

I couldn't say about geekiness, but I've always noticed a bit of overlap between cyclists and chess players, myself included. Possibly to do with the solitary nature of both activities?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:14 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:Are chess players more geeky than road cyclists?
You mean 'geekier than'.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:39 pm

I find chess players are more geekier.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:22 pm

We look less good in lycra

On the whole

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:We look less good in lycra
Speak for yourself! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Speak - and smell. My wife collected me once from a tournament and recoiled from the fragrant aroma as she opened the door. I now have to walk 50m up the road.

Or cycle home.

David Gostelow

Post by David Gostelow » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:15 pm

I have played Competitive Chess for 37 years (177 ecf at the mo) and also am a racing cyclist. Mainly time trial but some road races. Last year I combined the two (sort of ) and took the Sunday morning off the Staffordshire Congress and went for a ride with the club and then diverted to play the afternoon match in Full Club Lycra , then road home . Think I got 70 miles in and a win at chess. I do have a picture but a 55 year old in Lycra may put you off your dinner

To answer your question Road cyclists are no where near as geeky as chess players.

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:36 pm

John Upham wrote:
Andy Stoker wrote:We look less good in lycra
Speak for yourself! :D
"Lycra is a privilege, not a right."

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Tim Krabbé seems to be spending more time on cycling than Chess in recent years.

In his online diary he even had to put the following back in 2009.

http://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/chess2/diary.htm

384. 14 February 2009: I'm fine, but...

Several readers have expressed their concerns about my health, as I had not updated this Diary in over 4 months. In fact, I had only added one new item in the 4½ months before that. Thanks for worrying, but don't - my health is perhaps too good for this Diary, as I'm devoting more and more time to my other sport, cycling. And to my real work, writing fiction.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:09 pm

No, if you're referring to the cyclists who always have a state of the art machine and dress up like spiderman. I take great pleasure in burning them off on my rusty old ex-commuting bike with its full size mudguards, dressed in t-shirt and old track suit bottoms.

Interesting that you confine your question to road cyclists. So-called 'mountain bikers' also have a case to answer. I once saw a lad pay £160 for a helmet in a local bike shop. Very often you see them on terrain which is quicker to travel over on foot. Why spoil a nice walk by lugging a bike around with you?

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:28 am

Going back to an earlier time, if you asked your search engine (indeed pre-Google) to search for BCF - it inevitably came up with British Cycling Federation rather than British Chess Federation.

I see now that the BCF is no more - it's now British Cycling!

A footnote to this - a search of ECF puts the English Chess Federation above the European Cyclists' Federation!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:54 am

Reg Clucas wrote: I take great pleasure in burning them off on my rusty old ex-commuting bike with its full size mudguards, dressed in t-shirt and old track suit bottoms.
Here is a challenge for you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-28056499
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 am

Neil Graham wrote: A footnote to this - a search of ECF puts the English Chess Federation above the European Cyclists' Federation!
You shouldn't read too much into this. Google is apt to customise the order of presented results based on what you have searched for previously on the same computer.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:22 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Neil Graham wrote: A footnote to this - a search of ECF puts the English Chess Federation above the European Cyclists' Federation!
You shouldn't read too much into this. Google is apt to customise the order of presented results based on what you have searched for previously on the same computer.
I must have searched for the European Cyclists' Federation before then - it outstripped the E-Cigarette Forum, East Coast Fittings and the European Climate Foundation!