British Championship 2014 Schedule

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: British Championship 2014 Schedule

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 pm

2013: No norms
2012: James Holland (IM)
2011: Jonathan Hawkins (GM)
2010: Adam Hunt (GM), Rafal Tymrakiewicz (IM)
2009: Jonathan Hawkins (IM), David Eggleston (IM)
2008: Jack Rudd (IM), Jonathan Hawkins (IM)
2007: Charlie Storey (IM)
2006: Maxim Devereaux (IM), James Cobb (IM)
2005: No norms
2004: Simon Williams (GM), Gawain Jones (IM), Andrew Greet (IM)

That's as far back as I can remember off the top of my head.

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Alistair Campbell wrote:
JustinHadi wrote:
Matthew Turner wrote:
The winner of the World Amateur was awarded the FM title. This was played at Hasting one year and Jessie Gilbert was awarded the title. I believe there was a plan to incorporate the World Amateur into the Major Open one year, but I don't recall if it actually happened. I certainly don't think the FM title has generally gone with the Major Open.
It happened in 2004 - http://www.chessscotland.com/archives/Brit2004.htm. Thanks for answering the question though.
Although it was reported that Joe Redpath had won the FM title and an IM norm for his Major Open victory, I don't believe this actually happened. I'm not sure what the story was.
That's interesting. Maybe Stewart Reuben needed to be consulted earlier!

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Whoever is doing the pairings must really like Jon Hawkins, he has only played one GM in six rounds....
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:11 pm

And playing another non-GM in round 7. It is unlikely, but Hawkins could theoretically win the event and not fulfil the requirements for a GM norm! Unlikely, as I suspect he will play four GMs in the final four rounds. It won't be the norm he needs, as it looks like all the Welsh players are too far down the field to play him even if they go on a winning run and he starts losing...

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:06 pm

That's because in the British they upfloat the median not the highest rated from the group below. Otherwise a front-runner would always faced the highest rated chaser.

Paul

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Although it was reported that Joe Redpath had won the FM title and an IM norm for his Major Open victory, I don't believe this actually happened. I'm not sure what the story was.

That's interesting. Maybe Stewart Reuben needed to be consulted earlier!

In 2004 it was not the Major Open at the British. It was the Centenary Year of the BCF and the event was called 'The World Major Open Championship'. It was restricted to players under 2350 and had FIDE'S blessing. It has never been repeated. Somebody objected to the name, thinking it might get confused with the World Championship. Were it to be run again, I would recommend World Intermediate Championship. I didn't ask for it for 2013 because the Major Open has become too weak.

Joe certainly received the FM title. I don't remember whether it also gave him an IM norm.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Somebody asked how to quantify the strength of the British Championship.
Smith & Williamson British Championship in Hove 1997. Michael Adams played Ruth Sheldon in Round 1. I think she was 2290. There were more GMs than in Sheffield 2011. I think there were 4 GMs 2600+. I think Hove was probably the strongest British so far. All off the top of my head just prior to my game in the Seniors shortly.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:05 pm

A look at the FIDE website confirms my thoughts that Joe did not get the FM title for his achievement.

I am not sure that he has played in a tournament since because of his disappointment over this matter. He does still play club chess.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 am

If Joe was disappointed that he did not receive the FM title, it must be that it was advertised he would and that it was in the regulations. I have no memory of any problem, which suggests I was not contacted about the failure of FIDE to award this title. It would be difficult to clear up now and may not be of interest to him. But in 2004 it would have been no problem for me.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:59 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:A look at the FIDE website confirms my thoughts that Joe did not get the FM title for his achievement.
This is a complete guess, but might there have been confusion over which federation was supposed to request it?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Nick,
Can you put it on the agenda for the QC for Tromso? It is absolutely clear that Joe was entitled to be an FM from winning the event. Let us say that it was my fault for not ensuring the ratification by the arbiter of the event, although I was not administratively responsible Scarborough 2014 excpt the special events.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: Can you put it on the agenda for the QC for Tromso? It is absolutely clear that Joe was entitled to be an FM from winning the event.
Not to me it isn't - this is the first I've ever heard about it. We need someone to put forward a request with full chapter and verse. Can you do that?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:55 pm

More details on norms achieved:-

2003 - Ameet Ghasi (IM), David Howell (IM)
2002 - Richard Pert (IM), R.B.Ramesh (GM), Stewart Haslinger (IM & GM norms)
2001 - Richard Pert (IM), Melanie Buckley (WIM)
2000 - No norms achieved
1999- Ziaur Rahman (GM), Jonathan Rowson (GM), Jovanka Houska (WGM), Harriet Hunt (IM), David Ledger (IM), Sundara Kidambi (IM)
1998 - Krishan Sasikiran (GM), Miroslav Houska (IM). Jovanka Houska (WIM)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:00 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote: Can you put it on the agenda for the QC for Tromso? It is absolutely clear that Joe was entitled to be an FM from winning the event.
Not to me it isn't - this is the first I've ever heard about it. We need someone to put forward a request with full chapter and verse. Can you do that?
There is a contemporary report, admittedly not definitive, at http://www.chessscotland.com/archives/Brit2004.htm.

The minutes of Halkidiki Congress 2003, available at http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... inutes.pdf, refer at Item 48 to Annex 44.

Unfortunately the links to the Annexes are broken but I assume that Athens Office will have the document.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:16 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: but I assume that Athens Office will have the document.
Then someone from one of the federations should ask them for it before they all decamp to Tromso. This is a busy time!

Edit : Annex 44 was a BCF proposal, why wouldn't they have it?
Last edited by NickFaulks on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.