British Championship 2014 Schedule

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: British Championship 2014 Schedule

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:32 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I suspect the Major Open is a lost cause; it suffers from the problem that nobody 2200+ is likely to play in it because they want to use precious tournament time on tournaments where title norms are a possibility, and this has a knock-on effect all the way down the line.
Indeed. Although it’s also true that people who would have been in the Major Open when I started playing chess are now shovelled into the British Championship itself.

Perhaps the Major Open isn’t saveable. Certainly there hasn’t been any visible sign that the ECF want to try.

Astonishing to think that Rubinstein once played in this tournament.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Perhaps the Major Open isn’t saveable. Certainly there hasn’t been any visible sign that the ECF want to try.
I would have thought next year, with the central location, a sufficient prize fund and a qualifying place for the British at stake, you would get a reasonable turn-out. I think the problem is that the entry fees are too steep, partly because they need to work out how to properly fund the main Championship.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:Perhaps the Major Open isn’t saveable. Certainly there hasn’t been any visible sign that the ECF want to try.
I would have thought next year, with the central location, a sufficient prize fund and a qualifying place for the British at stake, you would get a reasonable turn-out. I think the problem is that the entry fees are too steep, partly because they need to work out how to properly fund the main Championship.
Maybe, but I don’t see why you’d assume it will be so. The Major Open’s been problematic for years. The bloating of the Championship tournament and the weakening of the Major Open have gone hand in hand.

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Does the winner of the major open still get the FM title for the tournament win?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Reasonable turn-out, not a reversing of the trend. What would you consider reasonable numbers and strength for the Major Open next year to be considered a slowing, halting or reversing of the trend?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:53 pm

JustinHadi wrote:Does the winner of the major open still get the FM title for the tournament win?
Did he ever?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: and a qualifying place for the British at stake
Don't forget that all the Internationally rated five day events offer qualifying places as well, so the Major Open is not the only route.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Reasonable turn-out, not a reversing of the trend. What would you consider reasonable numbers and strength for the Major Open next year to be considered a slowing, halting or reversing of the trend?
It’s hard to imagine it getting weaker, so almost anything would be a reversing of the trend.

I do think there’s an issue using Elo ratings as guide because they’re not necessarily representative of playing strength. That said, Ali Jaunooby aside: nobody above 2034 is absurd. 5 players above 2000 is absurd.

As a rough rule of thumb, though no tournament worth of the name "Major Open" would have a top seed that I’ve beaten.

Frankly, I think it might be time to call it a day for the Major Open.

If the ECF want the British Championship tournament like it is (not a good thing IMHO) and the Seniors Championship like it is (a good thing IMHO), I don’t see the point of the Major Open as it stands.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Don't forget that all the Internationally rated five day events offer qualifying places as well, so the Major Open is not the only route.
Major Open not the only route - and you’d have to question the SatNav of somebody who tried to get to the British that way. If that’s your goal why not play two five day events and get two bites at the cherry?
Last edited by Jonathan Bryant on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Oh. I hadn't realised that. Bit like confetti isn't it (qualifying places)?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:06 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
JustinHadi wrote:Does the winner of the major open still get the FM title for the tournament win?
Did he ever?
The winner of the World Amateur was awarded the FM title. This was played at Hasting one year and Jessie Gilbert was awarded the title. I believe there was a plan to incorporate the World Amateur into the Major Open one year, but I don't recall if it actually happened. I certainly don't think the FM title has generally gone with the Major Open.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Major Open not the only route - and you’d have to question the SatNav of somebody who tried to get to the British that way. If that’s your goal why not play two five day events and get two bites at the cherry?
Although those events have just one place each, whereas the Major Open has a variable number (all players who achieve a certain score qualify).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Matthew Turner wrote: I believe there was a plan to incorporate the World Amateur into the Major Open one year, but I don't recall if it actually happened. I certainly don't think the FM title has generally gone with the Major Open.
For 2004 in Scarborough, Stewart managed to get FIDE to recognise the Major Open as "the World under 2350 Major Open". Whether that also included an FM title as a prize is unknown. Plausible likely winners could already have had the title.

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Did he ever?
The winner of the World Amateur was awarded the FM title. This was played at Hasting one year and Jessie Gilbert was awarded the title. I believe there was a plan to incorporate the World Amateur into the Major Open one year, but I don't recall if it actually happened. I certainly don't think the FM title has generally gone with the Major Open.
It happened in 2004 - http://www.chessscotland.com/archives/Brit2004.htm. Thanks for answering the question though.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote: Although those events have just one place each
If the ECF don't apply tie-breaks as for this year, you are liable to get multiple qualifiers. The qualification list at http://britishchesschampionships.co.uk/qualifiers/ contains
4 from the Week 1 am
2 from the Week 1 pm
5 from the weekend "Atkins"
3 from the Week 2 am
and finally
1 from the Week 2 pm

I think all the Senior Champions would have qualified as well, although they aren't listed.