Is this a record?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Is this a record?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:05 am

stevencarr wrote: What on earth was he thinking of?
Trapping the Bishop perhaps. Gaining time by hitting it.

It was the last round and I don't think the teams involved were still in the promotion race. Playing Bg5 isn't worse than playing one of the better known ways to give away a pawn in the opening and would have the advantage of being something of a shock.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:59 pm

What ever happened to 'knights before bishops' ?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:What ever happened to 'knights before bishops' ?
It got dumped as a stupid rule that has little relevance to modern-day chess, perhaps.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Rather harsh, Jack. The rule was never relevant to strong players but for beginners and improvers it had some sense. You are more likely to know where you want to put your Knights in the opening but it may be worth waiting a bit before deciding about the Bishops.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:27 pm

John Moore wrote:Rather harsh, Jack. The rule was never relevant to strong players but for beginners and improvers it had some sense. You are more likely to know where you want to put your Knights in the opening but it may be worth waiting a bit before deciding about the Bishops.
"Knights before bishops" is not really a good thing to teach. I don't think anyone told me that ever. I think it is rather restrictive to one's imagination to lay some "ground rules". Don't say that this is only a suggestion because it isn't.

Only a few recommendations and advice with regards to piece development and their activity and castling would be good. Other than that, just let the players experiment with a few things. In some cases you might want to show one opening line, but this isn't really that useful in complete beginner's chess.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Well, I am sorry I spoke!
What is the smiley for 'irony', and why do some people seem to have had a sense of humour bypass?

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:Well, I am sorry I spoke!
What is the smiley for 'irony', and why do some people seem to have had a sense of humour bypass?
:? Is quite good for irony or maybe :wink:

Wouldn't worry too much though, it can be genuinely difficult to spot humour / irony on-line; doesn't mean other people have had a humour by-pass.