Who will win in Tromso?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

Which teams will finish on the top three places at the open tournament in the Tromso Olympiad?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 am

Armenia
24%
Azerbaijan
4%
China
9%
Cuba
No votes
England
7%
France
9%
Germany
No votes
Hungary
2%
Israel
No votes
Netherlands
No votes
Norway 1st
No votes
Russia
33%
Ukraine
9%
United States of America
2%
other
No votes

Total votes: 54

Graham Borrowdale

Re: Who will win in Tromso?

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:37 pm

Lewis Martin wrote:Short is lucky in the sense that whenever he decides to retires from chess professionally, he has a good chance of an alternative career ... etc
No doubt Nigel Short could comment if he chose, but personally I think it is a little impertinent to speculate about an individual's career opportunities and earning potential on an open forum.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Lewis Martin wrote:he has a good chance of an alternative career with regards to chess politics
Disregarding the current level of frustration with chess politics, which PAYING job do you currently see in chess politics (bribery income excluded)?
Ok, maybe not so much career with regards to earnings. Alternative activity if you like. Is Kasparov earning money through his foundation in Africa? No. Short is likely to be doing something different, whether it earns anything is entirely his choice.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:
Lewis Martin wrote:Short is lucky in the sense that whenever he decides to retires from chess professionally, he has a good chance of an alternative career ... etc
No doubt Nigel Short could comment if he chose, but personally I think it is a little impertinent to speculate about an individual's career opportunities and earning potential on an open forum.
You've rather conveniently taken my comment out of context.

I was just saying that Nigel Short has a far higher status in the chess world than the 'average' GM, (which is what I was referring to in response to an earlier post), that he has more opportunities to do something else befitting his talents, than this such person. I was just going through examples of alternatives. It is entirely his choice of course, and am not really speculating what he would do, just saying he could do almost anything he likes, should he choose to stay in the chess sphere, which is far more advantageous than the opportunities for an average Grandmaster upon nearing the end of his/her own career.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Lewis Martin wrote: just saying he could do almost anything he likes, should he choose to stay in the chess sphere,
Taking Kirsan Ilyumzhinov's money to be Chairman of the "FideFirst African Chess Foundation" appears to be the answer.

He's not standing for re-election as England's FIDE Delegate, but I imagine if he had done so then potential support for his re-election would plummet towards zero.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:59 pm

Roger, have you heard somewhere that he has taken the post? That would astonish me.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Roger, have you heard somewhere that he has taken the post? That would astonish me.

The Australian Delegate is posting from time to time from the GA meetings, out of what sounds like boredom.
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php ... post382094
Today's session is going so slowly there is moss growing on it. We started a bit after 9, it's now past 5:30 and in that time we've elected five Vice-Presidents and the chairs of the Ethics and Constitutional commissions, confirmed a few appointments, heard Nigel Short accept Kirsan's Africa offer, and had 30 minutes of mostly pointless grandstanding about finances. Oh, and had lunch.
It's also on twitter
https://twitter.com/goranurosevic
@nigelshortchess just accepted @Ilyumzhinov offer to be chairman of Africa Foundation.Big applause. Makro:"Nigel did you ask about salary?"

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:40 pm

How does that work then? I thought Nigel was of the view that Kirsan was something akin to the Antichrist. :? :? :? :? :? :?

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:48 pm

So would Short and Kasparov work together in terms of improving African chess?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Mike Truran wrote:How does that work then?
I don't know if the words are Nigel's or English to Russian back to English, the "invested in him" suggests a translation
http://chess-news.ru/node/16411
"You asked me to lead a supposedly already created your Support Fund chess Africa - said Short, - and allegedly already invested in him 500 thousand dollars. I am pleased to accept your offer and ready to start work as soon as 500,000 go to the account."
Is there just a hint of porcine aviation if that is what was said?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Nigel Short in response to the q as to whether he had accepted "Yes. Having appointed me as Director of the $500,000 Africa fund 2 days ago, he now says he doesn't have the power to do so :)"

shaunpress

Post by shaunpress » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:00 pm

(*Noting this is off topic for here)
This was simply a case of Nigel calling Kirsan's bluff, as by accepting the post he is trying to force Kirsan to deliver on the promise of half a million in funding. As has been noted above, this solid job offer then became a 'well the African Federations should really decide' affair, so there is of course now wriggle room for Kirsan on this.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:11 pm

shaunpress wrote:'well the African Federations should really decide' affair,
The Gabon thing continues to rumble on, does it not? Regardless of who he intended to vote for as FIDE President, the head of the original Federation doesn't appreciate having his organisation excluded, particularly as the supposed replacement hadn't been able to raise a team. Didn't enough of his fellow leaders agree with him that they had two parallel meetings to vote on the African Continental President? I could imagine there's hard feeling if the organisation you have been President of for six years is told that it never existed.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 pm

OK. Nigel calling FIDE's bluff I understand.