Novice friendly chess clubs

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Novice friendly chess clubs

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi, can anyone recommend genuinely novice friendly chess clubs in central London? I'm teaching classes of adults (very good gender balances) at City Lit, and the students are all really keen to try chess for real. However, I wouldn't dare send them to most of the chess clubs that I am familiar with, as they are all the usual competitively charged societies that strong players seek out, in which newcomers would be dumped in the corner and ignored, if not worse. Are there any places where inexperienced adults would be made genuinely welcome?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Novice friendly chess clubs

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: I'm teaching classes of adults (very good gender balances) at City Lit, and the students are all really keen to try chess for real.
Would you do better to take them to a tournament, a rapid-play one probably? That would show either that even the weakest club players are much better than casual players, or alternatively that the minimum standard in tournaments is relatively low and can easily be beaten with a modicum of (self) training.

Otherwise you might have to enter them as a team in their own right in one of the league competitions. I don't recall its proper name, but the new Pimlico based league might be suitable as not requiring a home venue.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Not sure if it is suitable, but I do know that after the history lecture you gave, I heard Brendan O'Gorman (who may be able to confirm this if he reads this) giving advice to someone to try GLCC (Greater London Chess Club). If anyone from GLCC is reading this, they may be able to say whether they are set up to cater for novices. The best thing is a club that has a core of regular social players (of whatever level) as opposed to those who just play 'competitive' chess. The real problem you may have is finding clubs that remain open over the summer.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:10 am

Paul McKeown wrote:Hi, can anyone recommend genuinely novice friendly chess clubs in central London? I'm teaching classes of adults (very good gender balances) at City Lit, and the students are all really keen to try chess for real. However, I wouldn't dare send them to most of the chess clubs ....
I think this is a real problem. The barrier between novice and ecf graded club player is just too high at most clubs. Mine included.

Not exactly central London but there’s a casual club in Streatham. It’s called the library club although it currently meets in the White Lion pub on Wednesday afternoons/evenings. I’m aware that various other libraries in Lambeth have casual clubs too.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:13 am

I did but based more on geography and general friendliness of the club rather than on any in depth knowledge of facilities for novices. As Chris suggests, better if someone from the GLC club were to comment.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:53 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
I think this is a real problem. The barrier between novice and ecf graded club player is just too high at most clubs. Mine included.
I agree that this is the case especially with adult players with respect to starting out. With juniors, it is easier to be more welcoming of them, though there needs to be some players who are understanding of them, being patient as well as being quite approachable.

I am reminded of a quote:

"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow" - by Plato.

Or is it the norm that existing chess players are impatient? :D

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Lewis Martin wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: With juniors, it is easier to be more welcoming of them ....
I’m not sure I agree. Having juniors join a chess club - certainly when it happens in significant numbers - creates all sorts of issues that a club need not address for adults.

Robert Stokes

Post by Robert Stokes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:01 pm

This whole thread begs the question of why ALL chess clubs are not genuinely friendly to complete novices. If potential newcomers to the game are discouraged then it's going to die out. (Faster than I suspect it will anyway because most players seem to be well on in years and gradually departing this life.)

Can a club not find one person (possibly on a rota system) who each evening will welcome any newcomers, watch them play and offer advice until they feel confident enough to join in as ordinary members? Why would you treat an adult who is learning the game any differently to a child doing so? Are people so competitive that they have no time to help others?

Robert

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Lewis Martin wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: With juniors, it is easier to be more welcoming of them ....
I’m not sure I agree. Having juniors join a chess club - certainly when it happens in significant numbers - creates all sorts of issues that a club need not address for adults.

Issues like what?

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Robert Stokes wrote:This whole thread begs the question of why ALL chess clubs are not genuinely friendly to complete novices. If potential newcomers to the game are discouraged then it's going to die out. (Faster than I suspect it will anyway because most players seem to be well on in years and gradually departing this life.)

Can a club not find one person (possibly on a rota system) who each evening will welcome any newcomers, watch them play and offer advice until they feel confident enough to join in as ordinary members? Why would you treat an adult who is learning the game any differently to a child doing so? Are people so competitive that they have no time to help others?

Robert
Agreed, South Bristol Chess Club are doing well with the adults and are very welcoming. I don't know how many juniors they have, but there aren't many, but then that is a common problem in Bristol, since only Downend Chess Club seem to help them out.

As for being competitive, you also have players who do not even turn up to club nights, for the sake of club, and only play in league matches! It varies from individual to individual, since some people really only want to do just that, play competitive league chess.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Lewis Martin wrote: Issues like what?
This is a serious question?

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Yes.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Lewis Martin wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Yes.
Blimey.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Blimey.
I am more interested in what you think these issues are, and therefore what we can do to solve them in clubs.

Although Brown Jack are a relatively small club, and largely adult (I am by far the youngest adult), we do have our share of juniors. I know a bit about how challenging they could be, but we do manage with them.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Lewis Martin wrote: I am more interested in what you think these issues are, and therefore what we can do to solve them in clubs.

Well for a start, who has parental responsibility for your juniors when they attend the club? That’s not a question you have to ask for adults.

As for the second bit of your sentence, I don’t think most clubs - certainly no club I have ever attended - has ever been set up to adequately deal with the demand for junior chess. In my experience it either takes somebody with an enormous amount of free time and interest (which rarely come together) or somebody to do it professionally.