London Chess Classic

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:17 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:I presume this is a likely cost saving (via shortening the event) of some sort.
They are expecting the world class field to play in the rapid-play over the first weekend. For the next couple of days, they are then expected to take part in novelty events before the serious games start on the Wednesday. So there's no saving in hospitality costs other than that there are fewer of them.

Anyone doing well enough in the rapid-play to get to the top boards is likely to meet one of them. It remains to be seen how good the 6 of World top 12 will be at crushing players they've probably never heard of.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Just booked a couple of tickets online for spectating at the LCC. Quick, simple to do, far more user friendly then the train tickets I booked elsewhere shortly afterwards, and got an email with a pdf for the tickets about a minute after I finished booking.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:58 pm

looks like today Friday 17th October is the last day to get a discounted entry price to the London chess classic events.

Was it this early in previous years?

Also looking at the events links it looks like Sean Hewitt (of e2e4 fame) has come out of retirement!

Will e2e4 be revived?
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Martin Crichton wrote:Was it this early in previous years?
I don't believe so. I never did get an answer as to what ratings applied to the grading prize limits in the two day rapidplay at the start of the event.

There's an under 2000 and other rating prizes. On the assumption that refers to a FIDE Rapidplay rating, what takes precedence for those without a rapidplay rating? Is it FIDE standard play or a conversion of ECF rapidplay? It also affects the seeding order for pairings.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi Roger

I also spotted this descrepency. Clearly states that it is a FIDE rated event but also states that English rapidplay grades will take preference.

I would in theory be one of those that would not qualify for a grading prize as my FIDE rapidplay grade is 1969 but my ECF rapidplay grade is 174 (2005 converted to ELO) Not that concerned tough as it is very unlikely that I would win a prize anyway...only in it for the taking part :)

Also I see they raised the junior age to 25... hopefully they raise it to 50 next year so I can play for free :)
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Matthew Lunn

Post by Matthew Lunn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 am

The first festival entry list is now on the website: http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festival_entries.htm

So far the Super Rapidplay counts 16 GMs and 13 IMs among its entrants, the FIDE Open has 10 GMs and nine IMs.

Across all events, there are just under 300 entries.

Yannick Ongena

Post by Yannick Ongena » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 pm

I have a question about the level of a U120 tournament?
I'm new to chess but I would like to take part in the U120 weekend classic. Even if I don't win a match, I will get some tournament experience and can visit some other stuff around the venue.

I'm just wondering what to expect in an U120 tournament? When doing the calculations to FIDE rating I notice 120 is 1600 which seems very high. Looks like I won't stand a change to win 1 game :)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:17 am

They've actually even got the entries for this on the website (!). http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festival_entries.htm. Doesn't look too threatening :)
(You wouldn't expect universal 119's :)).

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:51 am

Yannick Ongena wrote: I'm new to chess ... I'm just wondering what to expect in an U120 tournament?
If you’re new to tournament chess you might want to start with a Golders Green rapidplay

http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.co.uk

which are held every month.

Enter the bottom section and see how you do. It’s just a one day event so you risk less and you may well find yourself presently surprised. Even if not it will at least give you an idea as to where you stand with regard to the Classic weekender.

Other than that, as the previous poster said, remember that 120 is the maximum not the minimum rating.

It is a bit of a jump to get into tournament chess from playing casually. When it comes down to it all you can do is jump in and play as well as you can. Even if you get smashed - and it’s happened to all of us at one point or another - you will at least have a good bench mark to judge future performances. In two years you can look back and see how far you’ve got!

Best of luck.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Yannick Ongena wrote:I have a question about the level of a U120 tournament?
I'm new to chess but I would like to take part in the U120 weekend classic. Even if I don't win a match, I will get some tournament experience and can visit some other stuff around the venue.

I'm just wondering what to expect in an U120 tournament? When doing the calculations to FIDE rating I notice 120 is 1600 which seems very high. Looks like I won't stand a change to win 1 game :)
Go along to a chess club as soon as possible and play some games there first would be my advice. If you're in London and free next Monday (27 October) there's an open night at Athenauem Chess Club, for example. The organiser is Inga Jirgensone, whose contact details I could PM you if you're interested (or you can contact the Club Secretary via the website).

Yannick Ongena

Post by Yannick Ongena » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I actually live in Surbiton and I found a club that's only 10min walk but the only day the play is on a day I have to stay home with the baby...
There's another club in Kingston (Roehampton Vale) but I'm not sure if the are still active considering their last website update or FB update is a couple of years old.

That's also mainly why I want to participate at the tournament. I know I won't have a chance of winning, but I just want to play and perhaps meet a few people, just have a good time.

Even if I get annihilated in every match, I might learn something from my mistakes :)

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Kingston are still active. Another alternative is Richmond, which meets on Thursdays in Teddington, a short bus ride away from Surbiton. We have a number of more social players and run entry-level teams in several local leagues.

Yannick Ongena

Post by Yannick Ongena » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:18 pm

Richard, thanks a lot!
Thursday is great so I might pop in next week.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 pm

I probably won't be there myself next week. I have away matches at Surbiton on Wednesday and possibly also at Kingston on Monday!

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:12 am

I also like to take part in that tournament. What is the fee and how is getting the visa, lodging, etc