Carlsen's performance at Tromsö

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Carlsen's performance at Tromsö

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:36 am

"I would guess that he missed in 2012 because he realises that the party atmosphere and lack of personal incentive do him no favours at all, and probably played this one with some regret since he could hardly refuse (he does, I am sure, genuinely want to promote chess in Norway)."

This is true. He got a lot of help earlier in his career as Hans Olav Lahlum invited him to Gausdal and gave him tough opposition (and doubtless others did the same). When Carlsen was a top class player, he still turned out at Gausdal, showing suitable gratitude, which perhaps, some others would not. I cannot imagine he charged his usual appearance fee! I saw it reported that he wandered into his local club to see his old friends, and when he heard they had a league match, he asked if he could play. His "weak" 2550 opponent was delighted!

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Mats Winther wrote:Tal didn't play unsound.
Tal played unsound a lot of the time. The idea was to intimidate his opponent into making unsound moves in tactically complex positions. Often the method would work; sometimes it would backfire.

As for Carlsen, he's a free agent. He's not "responsible" to the chess community for occasionally stumbling.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:
Tal played unsound a lot of the time. The idea was to intimidate his opponent into making unsound moves in tactically complex positions. Often the method would work; sometimes it would backfire.

As for Carlsen, he's a free agent. He's not "responsible" to the chess community for occasionally stumbling.
Exactly so. Plus, one one the biggest criticisms of Carlsen is that he plays so soundly. He is compared to 'a machine', nursing tiny advantages to endgame wins over even such great technicians as Kramnik. To call him an unsound player on the basis of a couple of games at Tromso is ridiculous.

I see a lot of this nonsense from the trolls at Chessbomb. When he wins he is boring and should play more interesting chess. When he mixes it up he is called speculative; lucky when he wins and a paper champion when he loses. It seems that for some people, no matter what he does it is the wrong thing!!

Frankly I doubt Carlsen gives a monkeys as long as he is the champion and world number 1.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:53 pm

The world champion always has to contend with jealousy. I think we forget that Magnus is still young. A few years ago he went through a phase where he thought he could play anything and get away with it, some of his Olympiad games look like a repeat of that. What on earth he was doing with the Bird's Defence to the Lopez I don't know.

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:

To play speculative chess in complex positions, to make sacrifices that give a lot of tactical chances, isn't necessarily unsound. You can call them unsound only if you have recourse to a chess engine and a lot of time for analysis.

Yes, the chess king has a responsibility to the chess community, in a similar vein as the king of a country. All official positions come with a responsibility. He must uphold his role as the world champion, and play according to his credo. Above all, he must play openings above amateur level.
/Mats

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:23 pm

You make him sound like a Yokozuna (top rank in Sumo). Anyone who reaches this rank (from which there is no demotion) must perform to the very high standards expected from a top champion, and are expected to retire after a bad tournament.

Maybe Magnus could do an apprenticeship to become a welder? :)

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:13 am

Mats Winther wrote:To play speculative chess in complex positions, to make sacrifices that give a lot of tactical chances, isn't necessarily unsound. You can call them unsound only if you have recourse to a chess engine and a lot of time for analysis.
What's the fine distinction between "speculative" and "unsound?" Tal tried "speculative" sacrifices against Keres a couple of times; Keres calmly accepted the sacrifices and defended accurately (instead of going into panic mode and making mistakes). Should these sacrifices be called "unsound?"