Playing chess or not?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
stevencarr

Playing chess or not?

Post by stevencarr » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:40 pm

I really like chess, and often wish my opponent would not get in the way of the chess by trying to stop me playing good moves. I'm not fond of the competitive aspect.

If I want a good game of chess, I tend not to look at my games. GM's play better chess than me. So I prefer to look at their games rather than play myself.

Are there other people who prefer doing chess puzzles or reading chess books to actually playing?

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Playing chess or not?

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:30 pm

I expect most players - including the very best there are - feel/have felt that way from time to time.

But eventually the competitive urge wins out again. Chess is ultimately a contest, after all :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 am

I remember feeling that way briefly after about 3 or 4 years playing, possible related to hitting a plateau, although not necessarily. It ended rather quickly of its own accord.
I love the competitive side of chess, and am actively looking forward to playing my first games in three weeks. For me, both studying and playing are very important. I enjoy studying because I know it’ll pay dividends in my games, but I don’t think I’d enjoy it at all if I never played, a bit like studying a language you’ll never get to speak/read.

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Niall Doran wrote: I enjoy studying because I know it’ll pay dividends in my games, but I don’t think I’d enjoy it at all if I never played, a bit like studying a language you’ll never get to speak/read.
Of course, your attitude is very understandable, but there are people who like chess problems and don't play very much.

Francis Fields

Post by Francis Fields » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Having studied and played chess for 20 years, I find that understanding my motivation for doing so is all that I require. The mindset of enjoying chess and wanting to play well is all that I need if I do that.

Francis

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:38 am

I keep meaning to play, but I drifted into organising junior events and (voluntary) coaching. Another year has drifted by without me playing a competitive game. The previous year I played 1 tournament and some 4NCL games. But that didn't lead to a revival because I didn't find a division 2 team last year.
To go back to the original question - because of the coaching aspect, I read more 'principles of chess' and endgame books. I feel they have improved my game (but I can't prove it!) too.
I also like tournament books, classic like Zurich 1953 and modern ones like San Luis and Reggio Emilia (? Spelling - away on hols with an iPad :D ).

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:19 pm

Chess, yields, when we need it most, companions in our loneliness.
Chess is a mansion with many rooms. People occupy as many or as few as they wish.
Playing the game non-competitively, sometimes called 'friendly' games. - There is no such thing as a friendly game of chess.
Playing the game competitively in teams
Playing the game competitively in individual tournaments
I sometimes wonder why, after 64 years, I still do the latter two. Nigel Short collects countries where he has won an event.
Studying the game. Quite a number do so with no intention of playing.
Reading about the game in books, or online.
Vieiwing video material.
Reading magazines.
Reading newspaper columns.
Analysing games.
Coaching.
Teaching.
Administration of clubs.
Administration of tournaments.
National and international administration, including enabling others to visit or occupy these many rooms.
Collecting chess sets, or books, or memorabilia, or chess stamps, or video material.
Composing chess problems or studies, etc.
Solving such puzzles.
Taking photos, or collecting them.
Rating systems.
Swiss Pairing Systems.
I have no doubt I have forgotten several. So let's not forget
Posting comments about chess online.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:05 pm

The vicarious enjoyment of others getting beaten and humiliated (as one is too craven to play oneself).
Idle kibitzing (easy when one doesn't have the onerous responsibility of making moves).

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Good list, Stewart. The history of chess is also a deep well that can be imbibed from.

I would include 'Posting comments about chess online' as part of 'writing about chess':

- Posting to online forums about chess
- Writing blogs/online articles about chess
- Writing magazine articles about chess
- Writing books (many sorts) about chess
- Commentating about chess (i.e. online commentators and YouTube videos)
- Publishing/editing magazines/books/websites about chess (as opposed to writing)
- Finally, just talking about chess with others who have the same interests

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:29 pm

Collecting examples of IAGOT. (It's a game of chess out there).
Collecting examples of the board being the wrong way round. Remember when they managed that on the cover of Chess Magazine? The club was disbanded when too many examples were found.
Commentating to an audience. I first did that in 1972. Guess where.
Kibitzing post mortem analyses by players.
Preparing questions for quizzes and exams. I think I prepared about 500 for the Certificate of Merit.