Illegal moves in rapidplay games

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Blower

Illegal moves in rapidplay games

Post by David Blower » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:53 am

Simple question, a local league rule says that the opponent can claim 2 extra minutes (as the standard play rules are for a first illegal move in a game.)

As we all know the FIDE laws say that the opponent can simply claim the game.

Is the local league rule valid for the league or is that particular law of the league null and void.

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Illegal moves in rapidplay games

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:00 am

I would have thought the league rule applies - maybe they forgot to change it, or didn't notice the Law had changed, or decided to ignore the Law!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:32 am

David Blower wrote:As we all know the FIDE laws say that the opponent can simply claim the game.
That only became the Law on 1st July 2014. I rather doubt that most people, let alone everybody, are aware of the change.
Kevin Thurlow wrote:I would have thought the league rule applies - maybe they forgot to change it, or didn't notice the Law had changed, or decided to ignore the Law!
One or other of your first two suggestions would be my guess.

I concur that the League rule would apply. Whether the League can be ECF Rapidplay graded is more moot. Alex Holowczak and Brian Valentine are working on the acceptability or otherwise of derogations of this kind.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:13 am

David Sedgwick wrote:That only became the Law on 1st July 2014. I rather doubt that most people, let alone everybody, are aware of the change.
The Border League came up with a something of a mouthful, taking as its cue the very similar interpretation published by the CAA.
For inexperienced players indicated by age or grade and who are identified to the opposing captain prior to the start of the match, the second illegal move in standard play will not lose the game. For each illegal move the opponent will receive an additional two minutes, the move retracted and a different but legal move shall be played in accordance with FIDE articles 3.1-3.9. A note that an illegal move was played shall be marked on the score sheets by both players. Should a player make five illegal moves during the game, the game shall be lost and may be claimed by the opponent or awarded by an arbiter
But are you allowed to take a King again? Assuming rapid-play and the CAA interpretation of inexperienced players doesn't apply, has leaving or moving a King into check already ended the game?