Membership Renewal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alan Walton

Membership Renewal

Post by Alan Walton » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:58 pm

My membership has expired on the 30th Sept (it was a 3 year term), when I try to use the ECF online system I can't seem to do anything to renew

Does anybody here have any idea why?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 pm

Alan Walton wrote:Does anybody here have any idea why?
The system has to be hacked aka "customised" to cope with the transition from anniversary renewals to 1st September renewals. With the ever decreasing number of 3 year renewals, they haven't bothered (yet) for this season.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:48 pm

Alan Walton wrote:My membership has expired on the 30th Sept (it was a 3 year term), when I try to use the ECF online system I can't seem to do anything to renew

Perhaps because the problems with renewals experienced a year ago haven't been properly fixed? The Membership Director's report to the AGM says "The renewals process for the 2014-15 season has not gone as smoothly as hoped. In part this is due to lack of proper documentation of the process; I was unaware of the need to perform significant tasks which had not been my responsibility last year, and of the lead times the service provider needed to carry some of them out."

It shouldn't be a problem though. Apparently, the ECF has given a testimonial saying that the service PaySubsOnline provides "has been first class. They have always been prompt, friendly and helpful. They are available whenever and for however long we need them and they continually update the service with enhancements and new features." (see https://paysubsonline.com/membershipsof ... nials.aspx)

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:15 am

Alan Walton wrote:My membership has expired on the 30th Sept (it was a 3 year term), when I try to use the ECF online system I can't seem to do anything to renew

I had exactly the same problem.

I didn't receive the email reminder that I should have but I knew my membership had expired.

Somehow my membership had erroneously been recorded as lifetime membership and the system refused all attempts to pay. Once I made it known on the ECF Forum the ECF office contacted me and sorted it out.

Eric Gardiner

Post by Eric Gardiner » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:24 am

Same problem here. My membership expires today but when logging into PaySubsOnline I'm told I have nothing to pay and have been told that for the last few days. I didn't receive any email reminder from the ECF either.

I'll use the 20th century method of filling in the form with a pen and sending a cheque in the post ...

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:30 am

Ian Thompson wrote:The Membership Director's report to the AGM says "The renewals process for the 2014-15 season has not gone as smoothly as hoped. In part this is due to lack of proper documentation of the process; I was unaware of the need to perform significant tasks which had not been my responsibility last year, and of the lead times the service provider needed to carry some of them out."
That's a strange one, isn't it? He's been in post since the beginning of May 2013.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:32 am

I had an issue renewing my bronze membership as I was erronously upgraded to silver membership last year. When I contacted the membership office, Ian responded within a couple of hours and suggested I try again shortly. I gather he is doing the job alone and has no help. I renewed my bronze membership a few days ago (My club TFL will reimburse my bronze membership fee)
Anyone that has ever worked for TFL (staff or agency) or any of the companies (eg LU,London rail,Surface transport...the list goes on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_ ... on#History) that come under the umbrella of the TFL organisation or anyone still working for TFL will automatically qualify for FREE BRONZE MEMBERSHIP of the ECF (so long as you play at least 1 game for us during the season)
If you have ever worked for any of the above contact me for details [email protected]
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:17 am

Alan, I suggest you ring the office and ask for assistance.

When my (3 year membership) expired in the middle of this year I was prompted to renew until August 31st (which I did). Some time before August 31st I received a reminder to renew, then an apology that the reminder had been sent too early. I was sent no further reminder but remembered to renew on September 1st (that worked). So I believe that what you are expected to do (like last year) is to initially renew until the following August 31st when you can go back on to the 3 year memberships.

Anyway, if you ring the office they will sort it out for you.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Martin Crichton wrote
I had an issue renewing my bronze membership as I was erronously upgraded to silver membership last year
There was nothing erroneous about the upgrade. The pay to play fee charged to the first congress that you played in as a bronze member during 2013/14 was automatically used to upgrade your membership from bronze to silver.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:10 pm

erm I guess I might be in a better position to judge that than yourself John!

I played in 2 rapid play congresses last season

One on the 4th January 2014 (West London rapidplay by Sainbayer) which was a FIDE rated rapid play and as my Federation is IRL I only paid the nominal entry fee (ie not the extra £6)

I then noticed sometime around March that my membership had been upgraded to Silver? so I took advantage of the freebie and played in the Kings Head rapidplay March or April 2014

They were the only congresses I played in last year. (both rapidplays)

There is apparently another Crichton on the grading list...perhaps he was the one that was ment to be upgraded? I notice that he is a silver member this year but was bronze last year...co-incidence?

Regards
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Martin Crichton wrote: One on the 4th January 2014 (West London rapidplay by Sainbayer) which was a FIDE rated rapid play and as my Federation is IRL I only paid the nominal entry fee (ie not the extra £6)
Membership is not compulsory for rapidplay even if FIDE rated. So these are Silver rather than Gold. The organiser would have been billed the £ 6.