Hawkins now a GM

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
stevencarr

Hawkins now a GM

Post by stevencarr » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:02 pm

Congratulations to Jonathan Hawkins

Roger de Coverly

Re: Hawkins now a GM

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:04 pm

stevencarr wrote:Congratulations to Jonathan Hawkins
Strictly speaking it needs to be applied for and ratified at the next relevant FIDE meeting.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:58 pm

In case people don't know. An application needs to be posted for 2 months on the FIDE website to give time for objections. It also needs to be ratified by the Qualification Commission and confirmed by the PB. They can only do so where the regulations are clear. That certainly applies here. I knew he had achieved the required score after his 9th round pairing was announced. He and his opponent had only to play one move.

If he plays in Hastings, he should be able to do so as a GM not just a GM elect, provided the PB meets again this year. It is conceivable the title will be ready by Hampstead.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:08 pm

I think Jonathan may (comfortably!) become the English GM who was the oldest to qualify for the IM title? (possibly excluding those who didn't gain one or other title by modern conventional means).

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Early 30s, isn't he? Would be surprised if *nobody* had gained the GM title later than that.......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Early 30s, isn't he? Would be surprised if *nobody* had gained the GM title later than that.......
Oldest at qualification for the IM title.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Early 30s, isn't he? Would be surprised if *nobody* had gained the GM title later than that.......
Mieses was 85, I think.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:24 am

But Mieses was awarded the title in 1950 when the GM system came inton existence by voting. People above were referring to players gaining the GM title from norms.
Some have done so by winning the World 60+ Championship.
Jeff Horner gained his IM titile from norms in 2008. He was then 59 years old. Strange that, I thought it was 10 years earlier.
His rating exceeded 2400 only in the 1970s. Only now have I realised his k factor should have been 10, not 15!
He gained two norms in the 1980s and a third in 2008. The saga is almost certainly unparalleled in Britain. It was interesting determining all the data from non-computerised records.
Harry Golombek was awarded the GM title at a great age. But his 'norms' were much earlier.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:11 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:People above were referring to players gaining the GM title from norms.
Matt didn't make that specification.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:43 am

Harry Golombek born 1st. March 1911. Awarded the grandmaster title in 1985.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:26 pm

By the way Wikipedia has Keith Arkell gaining the title at the age of 34, older than Hawkins. (I've not missed Richard's posting, I just mention it for information.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:People above were referring to players gaining the GM title from norms.
Matt didn't make that specification.
It is what I actually meant, though :wink:

I am well aware of Mieses, Golombek, Penrose et al - they don't count here, though.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matthew Grattage

Post by Matthew Grattage » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:47 am

I believe that honour goes to the late Jānis Klovāns, who earned the IM title at the age of 41, and the GM title at the age of 62. Although that GM title was from the World Senior Championship- if only titles from norms are taken into account the record is probably much lower.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:21 am

Well this is all very illuminating, I'm sure, if nothing to do with the post that seems to have kicked the discussion off.

Also, the "record" i was claiming for Jonathan only applies to English GMs. Extending to Britain, I note at least one GM (John Shaw) was older when he got his IM title (30-31).

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:46 am

stevencarr wrote:Congratulations to Jonathan Hawkins
Yes, assuming its all ratified in due course, a superb achievement by Jonathan. It's not a record that can be measured but judging by his inspirational book Amateur to IM he's the hardest working player in the country. If he decides to pen a follow-up IM to GM I'll be fighting to be first in line to buy it.