Stockfish on Android

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Stockfish on Android

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:27 pm

I recently got one of those smartphone things. I've never had one before, so don't know very much about it.

I downloaded the Stockfish app and with it, the Chess For All GUI (it says here) that the app recommends.

Being unused to these things, I am struggling with them and would therefore appreciate some assistance, if anybody is able.

Question one. Usually, when playing the computer and pausing a game, I come back to it and the same game is still there (which is what I want, obviously). However, occasionally, this is not so - some older game that I resigned ages ago is there instead. Any ideas why?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Stockfish on Android

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:40 pm

I've only had a smartphone since about May this year, and I've only just got round to downloading apps for it. The first one was a book cataloguing one... I'm guessing I should look at a chess one as well. It is an Android phone. Is the Stockfish app the best one around?

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi Justin, not sure what has happened there.

I recommend the 'Droidfish' app, which also uses Stockfish. I have used it for a year without issue. Give it a try and compare. Good luck.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Ta, maybe I'll do that. But if anybody does know what's going wrong, I'd be keen to know. (It's happened twice after I've nursed promising positions for hours, which is most frustrating.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Maybe the computer is trying to avoid losing and carelessly 'loses' the game? :mrgreen: