Playing chess could shrink your brain

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Clive Blackburn

Playing chess could shrink your brain

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:10 pm

Shrinking certain areas of your brain is not necessarily a bad thing.... apparently, the brains of elite chess players have observable differences in structure from the brains of "ordinary" players.

Who would ever have guessed that? :roll:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... inks-brain

Jonathan Bryant

Re: Playing chess could shrink your brain

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:Shrinking certain areas of your brain is not necessarily a bad thing.... apparently, the brains of elite chess players have observable differences in structure from the brains of "ordinary" players.

Who would ever have guessed that? :roll:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... inks-brain

Some links to the original studies cited - or failing that, proper references - would be welcome.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: Some links to the original studies cited - or failing that, proper references - would be welcome.
There is a link to the study, at the start of the 3rd paragraph.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: Some links to the original studies cited - or failing that, proper references - would be welcome.
There is a link to the study, at the start of the 3rd paragraph.

Ah thanks. And the second study is linked to now as well I see.

Neither was when I first say this early this morning.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Chess does shrink the brain. We have evidence that, in certain cases, it shrinks the brain close to zero. We know this from posts to this forum, and elsewhere.

We know also that playing chess affects some people's ability to use the little bit of the brain they have left. But with that little bit of brain, it is still possible to use it effectively - by avoiding uncritical Googling

Try locating the source and provenance of the claim. HERE IT IS

There you will read, it says:

"To the best of our knowledge we showed for the first time that there are specific differences in grey and white matter morphology between chess players and control subjects in brain regions associated with cognitive functions important for playing chess. Whether these anatomical alterations are the cause or consequence of the intensive and long-term chess training and practice remains to be shown in future studies."

In other words, nothing about shrinking brains. So, if your 'shrunken brain' hasn't by now been overloaded, it says F*c* All. The brain is plastic; it changes (thank God) to stimuli. Chess playing, like violin playing or driving a taxi or giving birth, changes how the brain structures itself in response to the stimulus in question. As do repeated postings in here. Brain shrinkage? You tell me.

Excuse me, shrunken brains, but I have a better way to shrink my brain. Another glass of Chablis, please.