Weekend chess numbers

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Bobjones

Weekend chess numbers

Post by Bobjones » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Last weekend, at least 660 people were playing chess in weekend congresses. There were 356 at Scarborough (a record), 162 at Bury St Edmunds (second highest ever) and more than 140 shared between Bournemouth and Hampstead (don't have the exact figures).

Included were several titled players, including two GMs at Bury St Edmunds (Sadler and Cherniaev).

Numbers seem to be on the increase - a good sign!

David Gilbert

Re: Weekend chess numbers

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:17 am

And another 157 playing county matches within the SCCU.

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:57 am

The Carlsen bump has arrived...

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:43 am

You mentioned Scarborough....no doubt the most popular of weekenders..
It offers ideal ingredients....played at popular seaside resort..
The ideal date at Autumn half term...last chance for many to visit the seaside (before the winter sets in..), and take in the sunshine, fresh air and sea breazes....fine tournament conditions.

The chance to enjoy fresh cooked locally caught Fish...and chips..
And those Yorkshire full English breakfasts...
A truely toxic combination...added to the atmosphere of the venue, buzzing with chess players from all round the UK.
A classic British event...

I guess other Congresses have mixed fortunes.....and of course the e2e4 events have ceased (hopefully just a temporary setback)....
The interesting thing regarding Congresses and Rapidplay events is the mixture of age groups, and the numbers of `new` players that are attracted. I`d be very keen on any initiatives that encourage newbies to the chess scene..

I particularly liked the offering that the Northumberland Congress offered recently... An Open that was FIDE rated...a section for novice players that allowed them to play several games to get onto the grading ladder....and other very good event sections, catering for players of all standards.

I hope that event got some good publicity from local papers such as the Northern Echo (both before and after the event..).
Publicity is king for these events....welcoming joe public to come and have a crack...meet new opponents, exchange ideas, and enjoy the battle and camaraderie....and check out the book stall....whilst using there `moblies` most discretely, over a coffee break or two....

But, returning to the age groupings that attend such events....
My guess would be that a typical spread of age groups would be ...
circa 15% under 20 yoa
say 15% aged 20 - 40..
say 25% aged 40 - 60
and possibly around 50% aged over 60...ie, the Fischer generation...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:07 am

David Pardoe wrote: The interesting thing regarding Congresses and Rapidplay events is the mixture of age groups, and the numbers of `new` players that are attracted. I`d be very keen on any initiatives that encourage newbies to the chess scene..
If you look down the entry list for a typical Congress, there's hardly any players without grades. So no players new to graded chess. Take a look at the Scarborough entry list for example.

http://www.scarboroughchesscongress.org ... tries.html

There's a handful of "estimated" grades, presumably from players who've been inactive for a while.

A similar pattern on the Herts list.

http://www.hertschesscongress.com/index ... -s-entered

It's more obvious there as every player has a quoted grading code.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:46 am

David Pardoe wrote: and possibly around 50% aged over 60...ie, the Fischer generation...
Huh! I always hate being called the Fisher generation. I'm 62 and regard myself as definitely the pre-Fischer generation.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:01 pm

and Guernsey (not a weekender of course) finished that weekend as well, with a reasonable number of English players.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi Bob.

A good news post - well done. Very encouraging.

Of course these numbers mean nothing unless you also post the names and adress's.

and if you are up for a giggle...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread ... postid=196

A Happy Halloween bloggy thingy.

Hi Michael,

I'm 63 and consider myself one of the Karpov generation, he too was born in June 1951.

You will have to find a GM born in 1952.
How's about Henrique Mecking. January 1952.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
David Pardoe wrote: The interesting thing regarding Congresses and Rapidplay events is the mixture of age groups, and the numbers of `new` players that are attracted. I`d be very keen on any initiatives that encourage newbies to the chess scene..
If you look down the entry list for a typical Congress, there's hardly any players without grades. So no players new to graded chess. Take a look at the Scarborough entry list for example.

http://www.scarboroughchesscongress.org ... tries.html

There's a handful of "estimated" grades, presumably from players who've been inactive for a while.

A similar pattern on the Herts list.

http://www.hertschesscongress.com/index ... -s-entered

It's more obvious there as every player has a quoted grading code.
Yes, the Fischer era of the late sixties and early seventies saw a great swath of new players, galvanized by the wave of media coverage of Fischers assault on soviet chess domination...and all the associated razmataz...and paranormal rumblings/happenings...at the various high profile matches...
This brought a huge surge in interest, and I can even remember at school, our 5th form group suddenly took interest and played chess regularly at break times. Some Congresses saw numbers that have not since been seen.... Attracting a new intake of players is vital to the continued health of UK chess, but I guess most newbies would probably be more likely to try initially at a local Rapidplay event, rather than a weekend congress.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:Hi Bob.

Hi Michael,
I'm 63 and consider myself one of the Karpov generation, he too was born in June 1951.

You will have to find a GM born in 1952.
How's about Henrique Mecking. January 1952.
No, I shall go for Miles/Nunn. They are a bit late (1955) [Curiously they were born two days apart - 23 and 25 April]l.
However, my second ever congress included them both. I played Miles and I have a vague memory of playing Nunn, but if so the game is missing from my records :(
I could drop to IM status and then I could have the 1952 Robert Bellin from my first ever congress (but I didn't play him).