The Lancashire Chess Association AGM

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michael Farthing

The Lancashire Chess Association AGM

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:05 am

In another thread thread Mick Norris said:
Problem is, chess organisations seem to like secrecy

Given some of the decisions they make, not surprised (I'd like to see the minutes of the Lancs AGM this summer, as the reports I have had from those present are interesting to say the least)

Most of the minutes will not interest Mick, but I suspect this is what he wants to know about:
Under this agenda item there was a discussion which began with Bob Taylor seeking clarification about the role of
the LCA’s NCCU representatives; Bill O’Rourke confirmed that occupants of these positions would be expected to
cast their votes at NCCU meetings in accordance with the LCA’s policy on the issue under discussion. It is not
intended that the county’s NCCU representatives should vote in accordance with their own feelings when these
contradict the stance of the association.

This lead on to a discussion of the LCA’s policy with regards to the Manchester Chess Federation’s application to
join the NCCU. Bill O’Rourke stated that the current policy has not changed for many years, since the agreement of
1975. However he added that the LCA is a democratic organisation and hence it would be possible to review this, as
with any other policy, if correctly raised as a motion. Providing that such a review is done properly and
democratically then the LCA will abide with whatever decision is taken. Such a review was not on the agenda for
this AGM.
Good to see, however, that if the LCA were to change its policy it would abide by its own decision even if that went against what it thinks (I think that's what the report says?)

I have to confess that neither I, nor a representative from my club, were present. The AGM happens before we reconvene in the Autumn. The County championship is about the only way in which the LCA impacts on us (and that makes little difference to those selected and even less difference to those who are not!). [In short, we're disorganised, lazy, apathetic and waste our time playing chess]. Good to see, however, that if the LCA were to change its policy it would abide by its own decision even if that went against what it thinks (I think that's what the report says?)

John Reyes

Re: The Lancashire Chess Association AGM

Post by John Reyes » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Last night Urmston chess club put a proposed in to ask Lancashire to support greater Manchester joining the Nccu as Lancashire is blocking their route into the nccu over pool of players etc

The vote was For 4 against 13
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:47 pm

This year I was at least present.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:This year I was at least present.
Did the representatives of the Lancashire clubs present have good reasons for continuing a forty year old feud? It not even as if there are meaningful NCCU inter-county competitions any longer for which eligibility might be an issue.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:02 pm

From a devil's advocate point of view I think Lancashire's worry is that admitting Greater Manchester would damage their prestige (Lancashire players would play for Manchester if there was no longer any need to trek to the Midlands to play County chess). There is also the argument that the MCF is a federation of chess clubs rather than a County Union.

It does seem that there is no objection to Manchester clubs entering the NCCU inter club championships (I may be wrong on that) but that admitting Greater Manchester as a competing county within the NCCU is the sticking point. However the overriding point is that the LCA and elements within the NCCU don't seem to realise that a forty one year old dispute makes them the laughing stock of the national chess scene and is deterring new volunteers to come forward.

I've just read the NCCU AGM minutes from June which make for curious reading. I won't give a link but the Manchester dispute is briefly mentioned.

EDIT - the `curious` bit concerns the ECF Finance Council meeting which is described as a `shambles`. The minutes then go on to say that it was `ridiculous` that the Finance Director was on holiday (the ECF minutes of the meeting state that he was not only present but spoke during the meeting). A paragraph or so later Mike Truran is described as the `ex CEO` which must be news to Mike. And the NCCU wonder why they lack credibility, even in the North!
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:04 pm

I feel that the Lancashire AGM is like a support Bill or else and after 4 Years challenge him, without much success.

Urmston Chess Club will be as of 20/7/19 moving from Lancashire Chess to Manchester chess and that is down to the Lancashire President.

I will be sending a letter to the Lancashire and NCCU explain why we are leaving, but I feel that will be a waste of time.
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well