Chess Gaffs in Films

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Chess Gaffs in Films

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:35 pm

Not sure where to place gaffs about chess in films. So a new topic.
I'm sure we have spotted some in our time. I saw this one a few days ago.

In the film 'Tower Heist' Alan Alda (MASH) is showing Ben Stiller (Nights at the Mueums film)
the Levitsky - Marshall 1912 game (the shower of gold pieces.) Alda states that Marshall
is losing but found this brilliant Qg3 move and won.

Marshall was not losing prior to playing to Qg3. He was a safe piece up.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Chess Gaffs in Films

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote: Marshall was not losing prior to playing to Qg3. He was a safe piece up.
I tried asking an engine what it suggested if it wasn't allowed to play .. Qg3. It came up with the nearly as spectacular .. Qe3 . Telling it that it wasn't allowed either move, it found the boring .. Qa3 but expressed every confidence that it had an extra piece and a better position. A key tactical point is that gxh3 allows Nf3 winning the Queen, so the Rook isn't really hanging.

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:30 pm

I should say it is a mistake to spell gaffe incorrectly

In less off corse yew due mean gaff.

As in chess venues :wink:

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:00 pm

"I should say it is a mistake to spell gaffe incorrectly."

:P

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:58 am

The Talented Mr. Ripley contained move order errors.

If I remember correctly, the black bishop on g4 was pinning the white knight of f3. So white chased it away in the film by playing g4 followed by h3!!!! :mrgreen:

Stephen Saunders

Post by Stephen Saunders » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Not a film, but the chess gaffes in Twin Peaks s2 are painful to me, especially the completely misleading use of the word "stalemate".

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:57 pm

About 15 minutes into the 1968 film of Dennis Wheatley's The Devil Rides Out we're in the Duc de Richleau's flat where he's expounding on the nature of evil, etc. Just over his shoulder, among all the fancy knick-knacks littering the place, you get a glimpse of an elaborate chess set ...... You've guessed it. Wrong way round!!
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:51 pm

In the book 'Chess in the Movies' by Bob Basalla he lists many films. He also lists many where the board is the wrong way round, or the kings and queens misplaced. It is a pointless task listing them.
On of the most most famous chess films is 'The Seventh Seal' directed by Ingmar Bergman. I was asked by Empire Magazine to find some positions. There is just one game.
1. It is set in the 13th century, but they play to modern rules.
2. It is very hard to distinguish the pieces and therefore the position because the pieces are very ornate. But, as the game progresses, the board becomes MORE crowded with pieces. Nonetheless, with Ray Keene's help, I was able to identify some of the positions.

Many years ago, there was a standard ad in The Times with a chess position and the message, 'Your best move is.' One small poblem there were two white queens and no white king. I suggested to Ray that he telephone the company and mention the error to them. He said, 'What for?' I responded, 'It can do no harm.'
So he did, saying who he was and that it was a very nice ad. The person said his was the only complimentary comment, all others had simply pointed out the error. (Of course I would have concentrated on the error which shows how much better Ray was at these things than me.')
Then Ray said, 'Perhaps you would like to sponsor chess.' The response, very close to Ray's heart was, 'Why don't you come around for lunch to discuss the matter?' The company Watson & Farley Williams. They sponsored about 7 quite major events in due course.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:02 am

Hi Stewart,

Smashing anecdote about RDK. Glad I started this thread as it dug that one out.

I know about the book 'Chess in the Movies' but don't have it.
Which is surprising as I have most 'kooky' (is that the right word) books on Chess.
Also it will become dated. We can update it.

I was meant to go and see 'Interstellar' on Friday but something came up.
I'll be going on Tuesday.

Apparently (according the ChessBase) Magnus Carlsen is in it making
an uncredited appearance.

(I'm going because I love Sci-Fi, not to spot a chess player.)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:16 am

Geoff,
Since Bob published his book many other references to chess have turned up and, of course, there are new ones. He has supplied me with a long list.
I am going to see Algorithms on Monday.

I still get annoyed at the misuse of 'gambit'.
Stalemate is so often wrong that I fear it is changing its meaning in common parlance.
Here is the Chambers definition. The English is appalling and it is not correct.

stalemate noun 1 chess a position where either player cannot make a move without putting their king in check and which results in a draw. 2 a position in any contest or dispute where no progress can be made and no winner can emerge; a deadlock • The staff and management had reached a stalemate over pay and conditions.
ETYMOLOGY: 18c.
TRY, using their format
stalemate noun 1 chess a position where neither king is in check and the player whose turn it is to move cannot do so without putting their king in check. This results in a draw.
The definition in the Laws of Chess glossary is superior of course - I wrote it.
Where the player has no legal move and his king is not in check.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:23 am

The film "The Imitation Game" (about Alan Turing) opens in cinemas on 14th November.

Hopefully it will contain some chess scenes :)

I see that Gary Kasparov will be attending the premiere and has waived his usual appearance fee.

Kasparov of course has a very personal interest in the development of chess playing computers! :lol:

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:40 am

According to the late Harry Golombek, Turing was a queen odds player. I presume the late Hugh Alexander plays a part in 'The Imitation Game'.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Yes, according to the Daily Mail review, Hugh Alexander is represented in the film.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -Game.html

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Not a film, but in the TV series Monk episode “Mr Monk and the Genius” a game takes place between a female character and a “Grandmaster” in a park. The girl has the black pieces and makes the opening move 1.f5 to which the Master responds “Ahhh Birds opening! Not like I haven’t seen that 3 times today!” :roll:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:54 am

ALGORITHMS
This is an excellent feature-length documentary about blind Indian players. I wasn't looking for gaffes, but didn't notice any. They are looking to release it on DVD in early 2015. I forgot to ask the director why it is called 'Algorithms'.