Parliamentary Comment about Mind Sports

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Parliamentary Comment about Mind Sports

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:01 am

From Business Questions in the House of Commons on 6th November 2014
(Source: Commons Hansard 6th November 2014, Columns 680 and 681)

Bob Blackman (Harrow East) (Con):

Yesterday I had the honour of captaining the House of Commons bridge team in our annual match against the other place. I am happy to report that we successfully retained the Jack Perry trophy with an outstanding victory. Sadly, I was the only sitting Member participating and I had to enlist a number of ex-MPs—former distinguished Members of this House—to join me. Even more sadly, UK Sport refuses to recognise bridge, chess and other mind sports as sports. May we have an early debate, in Government time, on ensuring that there is recognition of those mind sports, which are important for sporting purposes in schools and for older people, so that we can encourage participation in them?

Mr Speaker:

I am sure the House is pleased to learn of the hon. Gentleman’s prowess and distinction at the bridge table. It is a prowess and distinction of which I was hitherto unaware, but I am now better informed.

The First Secretary of State and Leader of the House of Commons (Mr William Hague):

I was also unaware of it, Mr Speaker, and I congratulate my hon. Friend. To defeat the House of Lords at bridge is no small matter, although I do wonder how many former world champions he recruited to his team in the absence of any other Members of Parliament. I hope hon. Members will join him in future years so that the title can be retained. He makes an important point about the importance of games such as chess to the development of young people. I would certainly welcome a debate. I am not able to offer Government time for it, but I encourage my hon. Friend to pursue it in all the normal ways.