Personal Chess Manager

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MartinCarpenter

Re: Personal Chess Manager

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:56 pm

True! One thing I have thought of is that player captains rather frequently leave the venue at the 4NCL, to well leave it and go home/back to their hotel etc.

Formally against the law still, although only the most insane arbiter would complain :) Not sure why it isn't just reentering that requires permission though.

Stewart Reuben

Re: Personal Chess Manager

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Martin >Not sure why it isn't just reentering that requires permission though.<

Because policing that is difficult even in the Olympiad and impossible in the 4NCL. Take Tromso. You signed in when entering. Some captains do not do so before the start of play. Then they leave and that is, or can be, noted. Then they re-enter and it is noted. But will an arbiter be aware of this? One function of regulations is to reduce the paranoid tendencies of third parties. Thus a captain complains that another captain is not in the venue.
The arbiter tackles him on his return. 'I went back to my room to look at the football match on TV.'
'Sorry, you can't do that.'
'Why not?'
'Because the rules say so.' Anger is deflected from the arbiter and the other captain to the rules.

Also how would that reentry permission be granted? The captain arrives at the entrance. An arbiter would have to be contacted and permission be granted.
One event they even barred captains from leaving the playing area!