The 2016 World Chess Championship....

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Steven DuCharme

The 2016 World Chess Championship....

Post by Steven DuCharme » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:45 pm

will allegedly occur in the United States.
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Roger de Coverly

Re: The 2016 World Chess Championship....

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:59 pm

Steven DuCharme wrote:will allegedly occur in the United States.
Announced by Kirsan, so perhaps the aliens are financing it. A kick in the face for any sponsor not in the US who might be interested.

It's happened before. When the FIDE version of the Championship was a knock-out, FIDE or rather Kirsan himself, had it played in Las Vegas. It's alleged, even claimed by the FIDE President himself, that the prizes were personal cheques or bank drafts.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: A kick in the face for any sponsor not in the US who might be interested.
All I can find is "“It’s not official yet, but there is a proposal from Hollywood,” Ilymzhinov said."

I'm sure your information is better than mine, but where can I find it?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:39 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: A kick in the face for any sponsor not in the US who might be interested.
All I can find is "“It’s not official yet, but there is a proposal from Hollywood,” Ilymzhinov said."

I'm sure your information is better than mine, but where can I find it?
Apparently Kirsan said it as the closing ceremony of the Carlsen-Anand match. I haven't checked the video but below is a link to the Chessdom site where hopefuly it features. Could be just an opening gambit as clearly there has been serious money for chess around the St Louis area or maybe there already are some serious backers for a potential match for Carlsen against Caruana or Nakamura.

We should also note that the Ilya Merenzon who bought the commercial rights from Andrew Paulson/Agon is from New York so he naturally would want the World Championship final in the US.

http://www.chessdom.com/closing-ceremon ... mpionship/

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:30 am

Ilyumzhinov's main announcement was that the next World Championship match in 2016 would be in the United States of America. Earlier in an interview with VG's correspondent Nora Thorp Bjornstad Ilya Merenzon of AGON said "We have our hearts set on North America" (she also got a comment from Putin later where he said "Carlsen is a genius").
http://www.theweekinchess.com/chessnews ... his-prizes
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:35 am

https://twitter.com/MarkTWIC/status/537394275047448576
Carlsen been making nice with Google and Bill Gates. More likely? @TarjeiJS Oh so LA and New York mentioned? Yes, those are the two cities mentioned. But of course a lot can happen until then

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Ilyumzhinov's main announcement was that the next World Championship match in 2016 would be in the United States of America. Earlier in an interview with VG's correspondent Nora Thorp Bjornstad Ilya Merenzon of AGON said "We have our hearts set on North America" (she also got a comment from Putin later where he said "Carlsen is a genius").
It looks to me as though Mark has embellished the story a little. Agon would like the event to be in the US ( surely this forum would applaud that - there has been constant sniping about everything happening in the old Soviet Empire ) and Kirsan seems only to have said that is a possibility. Political opposition to the FIDE administration, is fine, but should not rule out straight reporting.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:34 pm

NickFaulks wrote: ... Kirsan seems only to have said that is a possibility.

Given the frequency with which FIDE switches venues of its events, even those supposedly set in stone, what odds should we give for the 2016 match actually happening in America?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Aha, so that's where Carlsen V Anand 3 will be.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:48 pm

I've now found the Agon announcement. which does indeed quote him as saying the 2016 will be in the US. Apologies to Mark, who quite reasonably requoted that. All the same, even if he said it, we know that he is too willing to repeat words that are put into his mouth. I don't think that other serious potential sponsors need be put off - there isn't even a US bid yet.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:52 pm

NickFaulks wrote: ... we know that he is too willing to repeat words that are put into his mouth.
I think you should provide concrete examples - links to specific articles - if you’re going to say something of this sort.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:07 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Agon would like the event to be in the US ( surely this forum would applaud that
Are you sure about that? A match in the US would probably mean live games very late in the day (even night) with commentaries from the likes of Yasser Seirawan & co (that are not that bad but I would much prefer what we got from Svidler this year).
Strange that nobody mentioned Saint Louis as a possible location; there's only one person in the U.S. at the moment that could committ at this point the resources needed for a world championship.

On a side note, beside all the concerns raised after the announcement of Sochi as world championship location, it seem to me that the event was very well organized despite the short amount of time for preparation and very enjoyable for the online audience like myself.
Last edited by Paolo Casaschi on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:Agon would like the event to be in the US ( surely this forum would applaud that
Are you sure about that?
You're right, a lot of the people who post here will find something to criticise whatever the arrangements. This is a tough crowd!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:30 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
It looks to me as though Mark has embellished the story a little. Agon would like the event to be in the US ( surely this forum would applaud that - there has been constant sniping about everything happening in the old Soviet Empire ) and Kirsan seems only to have said that is a possibility. Political opposition to the FIDE administration, is fine, but should not rule out straight reporting.
I think it is a question of perspective - I haven't met him, but it looks to me like Mark through TWIC has provided a massively useful service to chess over the last 20 years, researches things very thoroughly esp Kirsan, and tells the truth

I haven't met you, and I hope I am fortunate enough never to, but you seem like a complete idiot - I wish you would refrain from quoting any of my posts, and indeed from posting at all as you clearly have nothing useful to say

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:47 pm

NickFaulks wrote:This is a tough crowd!
Only in chess - and perhaps FIFA - would a desire for a fair and transparent bidding process for major events be considered nit pickingly demanding.