Paying online

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Blower

Paying online

Post by David Blower » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Which clubs accept online payment as a method of payment.

I have recently entered the Shropshire Chess Congress 2015 online as I did the Birmingham Rapidplay and also my ECF membership fee. But these are of course the national federation and congresses.

But with regards to my club it relies on me withdrawing money and physically handing over cash to the club treasurer.

As I am the webmaster of my clubs website (link below if you want to have a look) I have suggested we take the option of allowing the club fees from members to be paid online.

Is it successfully done by other clubs? I guess the main fears will be about hacking etc, I guess I have a job convincing some people.

Jon Mahony

Re: Paying online

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:47 pm

Leeds Chess Club experimented with giving the option of doing an online bank transfer for club subs, directly into the club account. However it was abandoned after a season as only about 4 people actually used it, the preferred method seems to be, to turn up with £12.00 on club night and stick it in the treasurer’s sky rocket.

The Leeds Congress looked into setting up a way of paying entry fees online via Paypal, but as I recall the amount of messing about needed was unreal. This probably explains why all but the biggest congresses still advocate a cheque in the mail (or at a pinch payment in cash before the first round).
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:58 pm

Club subscriptions tend to be collected once per year at the beginning of the season and it is probably for the Treasurer to determine what is the easiest way for him (or her) to collect them.

Accepting money payments by electronic transfer is probably the best option if you don't want to deal with cash or cheques.

Why go to the expense and complexity of a third party provider such as PayPal?

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:Why go to the expense and complexity of a third party provider such as PayPal?
I'd agree with that when it comes to club subs, however I think if you were taking money electronically for congress entry fees you would need to do it via PayPal - it doesn't look that professional sending someone an email saying thank you for your entry, would you mind transferring 30 quid into this bank account. It would also require a certain amount of trust on the part of the person wishing to enter.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:58 am

Also, you would hope that the Treasurer and the other club members would see each other occasionally...