Why did WIlliam Hartston stop playing chess?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Robson

Re: Why did WIlliam Hartston stop playing chess?

Post by Paul Robson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:00 pm

Don't get me wrong folks but perhaps he got a life .

I recently had lunch with a old friend and his family and he was saying how much he enjoys life away from chess with the family etc and how others had not really moved on. Some time back he was very focused on chess and a rather good player.

As much as chess brings us and I love the game , (just can't play that well) , I would warn youth against playing too much. I love the diversity of people playing the game and how it provides common ground for young and old etc but, (although always hard to generalise), I have seen some normal kids become right sadows - but then I suppose that add to the diversity !
My wife thinks 60% of chess players are freaks ... Yes just 60% ! I must ask her if the 60% includes me but I suspect I know her answer already.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:02 am

In the 'Gogglebox' yearbook Bill says that he was British champion before we had any good players. He also relates that the generation of players after his overtook his generation very quickly, meaning he would have had to work even harder just to avoid falling even further behind. He comes across as very genuine, without taking himself too seriously.

MJMcCready

Re: Why did William Hartston stop playing chess?

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:28 am

He would have to work hard but he would have done so for many years already, so that shouldn't have dissuaded him. To stop playing when you've dedicated most, if not all, of your life to something, must be a big decision. I could understand it if events outside chess took over, as a previous poster mentioned.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:24 pm

Paul Robson wrote: My wife thinks 60% of chess players are freaks ... Yes just 60% ! I must ask her if the 60% includes me but I suspect I know her answer already.
A Bradford played called Daz and his missus had a kid a couple of years back, on being asked if he was going to teach him to play Chess, Daz responded “Am I F****! Have you seen half the people in this room?!”

Sums it up nicely! :lol:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker