FIDE Arena

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

FIDE Arena

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:17 am

FIDE Arena (FIDE's online service) are making a special offer of a few months free server membership to everyone with a FIDE ID number

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... w-era.html

Not having explored it, I don't know how they validate that you are who you say you are, particularly if you follow the conventions of many sites and servers and play or post under an assumed name.

Obviously I haven't done a systematic search, but I've yet to find anyone with a FIDE Arena rating.

They seem to have reached a compromise on the relationship between OTB ratings and online ones. Online ratings won't affect OTB ones but the change in the OTB rating will be added/subtracted against the online version.

Clive Blackburn

Re: FIDE Arena

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:56 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: Not having explored it, I don't know how they validate that you are who you say you are, particularly if you follow the conventions of many sites and servers and play or post under an assumed name.
That is rather worrying, it means that potentially anyone at all could be playing using your FIDE ID number! :o

Clive Blackburn

Re: FIDE Arena

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:27 am

I wonder what personal details they ask for that aren't publicly available on the FIDE database.

And how would they then verify them?