What would you pay for a title?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joshua Gibbs

Re: What would you pay for a title?

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:56 am

speaking as somebody who learnt how the knight moved online and who was shocked to discover that in real life chess clubs existed, I am a lot more proud of stuff I've achieved online than OTB chess. I think this attitude will become more common in coming years.

So, I would not willingly pay for a chess title.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:22 am

Joshua Gibbs.
You intrigue me. What brought you to chess to play online?
Most play because they were taught to play (that applies to me).
Some are intrigued by the status of chess and learn from books. Have you read any books, or watched instructional DVDs. or instructional free websites?
When we had TV programmes on chess, no doubt some took it up because of that.
People took it up because of the Fischer-Spassky match, but that was in 1972.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:25 pm

I was just looking for a new hobby and thought it would be fun. I played Shogi a bit and that got me started.

I have read Rapid Chess Improvement by Michael De La Masa as well as several books on the openings I play.

I also have 100 essential endgames.

I read a load of chess books when I first started and am working my way though chess tactics art.

I used to watch the Master Game on YouTube, and I loved it but unfortunately they took it down.

For the record, A FIDE Master at one of the clubs attended took an interest in my game and started coaching me on the sly, and I always remember him saying "ah you're not listening are you?" and stopping teaching me when I started spinning a coin as opposed to listening to him. I was delighted when he said "not bad" after playing me in a friendly.

Having said that I studied chess myself online and became an ok player by doing so.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:50 pm

Josh bin rapid chess improvement as it is total twaddle :) I made the same mistake a few years ago - it doesn't do what is says on the tin. But I'm very glad you have got this perfectly good topic off arguments about the rules off chess, which so many topics here these days seem to degenerate into :(
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:17 am

in my opinion it is padded out. It could have been condensed into a pamphlet one tenth of the book's size... the tactics puzzles in it are a waste of space. I think the general idea of drilling tactics puzzles continuously is very true and ive definitely improved due to following it in my opinion.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:34 am

Joshua Gibbs wrote: I have read Rapid Chess Improvement by Michael De La Masa
That was a book which advocated various lines of the Closed Sicilian. All very well, but antidotes were well known to the stronger players, so his rating actually declined.

Against that, the world's strongest players will, from time to time, reinterpret openings popular with club players. Recently we've had Kramnik playing the Colle, Svidler and Giri playing the Kings Indian Attack.

Perhaps it needs a modern author to write "Flank Openings - a reappraisal".

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

Joshua >I used to watch the Master Game on YouTube, and I loved it but unfortunately they took it down.<
You can buy Master Game 1981 and 1982 from Impala, or presumably Amazon. Ray keene also published on impala 4 games where English players beat World Champions. 2 Rapidplay where Short beat Kasparov. One where Speelman beat Kasparov and one where the late Tony Miles beat Karpov in the 1983 Master Game.
Although you might learn a little from my book, 'Chess Openings - Your Choice!', it is mainly for beginners.
You should also consider getting ChessBase and a good chess engine such as Fritz.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:in my opinion it is padded out. It could have been condensed into a pamphlet one tenth of the book's size... the tactics puzzles in it are a waste of space. I think the general idea of drilling tactics puzzles continuously is very true and ive definitely improved due to following it in my opinion.
The bit that stuck in my craw was that half the book was devoted to “inspiring” stories of people writing about how the book had helped them :roll:

When I was into such books, I found “Improve you’re chess in 7 days” much more helpful, though the title is a bit optimistic.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote: I have read Rapid Chess Improvement by Michael De La Masa
That was a book which advocated various lines of the Closed Sicilian.
without wishing to be blunt No, it wasnt. It advocates studying tactics tactics tactics...

And it criticizes the candidate move system and plugs ctart.

Theres nothing about the closed sicilian in there

Stuart - thanks for the advice.
Jon Mahony wrote: The bit that stuck in my craw was that half the book was devoted to “inspiring” stories of people writing about how the book had helped them :roll:

When I was into such books, I found “Improve you’re chess in 7 days” much more helpful, though the title is a bit optimistic.
Yeah, that was plain daft. As i said above the book good be condensed into a pamphlet. imho the best beginner's book is Simple Chess by Stean.

Back to the original thead, i believe that a lot of people I know who learnt chess online don't really care for titles unless it is grandmaster or at a push international master.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:01 am

Joshua Gibbs wrote: Back to the original thead, i believe that a lot of people I know who learnt chess online don't really care for titles unless it is grandmaster or at a push international master.
If I was good enough for a title I wouldn't say no, but I shant be bothering sending my tenner off to the ECF for my club master certificate, or whatever it is I qualify for at the moment :lol:

If I ever manage to get and maintain a 200 grade I will send off for the national master title, as that sounds a bit better, but I strongly suspect that won't be happening :roll:

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote: Back to the original thead, i believe that a lot of people I know who learnt chess online don't really care for titles unless it is grandmaster or at a push international master.
If I was good enough for a title I wouldn't say no, but I shant be bothering sending my tenner off to the ECF for my club master certificate, or whatever it is I qualify for at the moment :lol:

If I ever manage to get and maintain a 200 grade I will send off for the national master title, as that sounds a bit better, but I strongly suspect that won't be happening :roll:
Jon is right. A title beneath you is worthless, a title above you is priceless. That applies whatever your level at the moment.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:14 pm

MSoszynski wrote:
Jon is right. A title beneath you is worthless, a title above you is priceless. That applies whatever your level at the moment.
I think a lot of chess players would dub the International master title as being many times more valuable than the Fide Master title.