Best chess tips.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Best chess tips.

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:27 am

A good tip for those who get into time trouble: move faster!! (not that it ever sinks in)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:59 am

Remember the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

DON'T PANIC

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:57 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:A good tip for those who get into time trouble: move faster!! (not that it ever sinks in)
I used to have regular time trouble problems even after the introduction of the increment. I did two things which have helped me cure the problem.

1) I started writing the times down on my scoresheet for both me and my opponent. Then I looked at games where I got into time trouble to see where the time was going and what kind of moves came out of the long thinks. They weren't blockbusters, more like indifferent indecisive moves.

2) I started writing the moves down in rapids. This is a kind of variation on Christopher's "Move faster!" injunction. Strange as it may sound it's doing the training to move faster. To begin with I allowed myself to stop writing with 2 minutes left on the clock. Once I could cope calmly with that I made myself write all the way down to the end. The result was of secondary importance. What counted was continuing to write the moves. Of course I didn't force myself to write after every move. There is no rule in rapid chess requiring this. If there was a flurry of blitzed moves then I caught up when I needed a short think. Remarkably I started getting better results at rapid! This practice improved my composure under pressure. Now that I don't have time trouble I've stopped doing this but thinking about it I'm tempted to resume.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:19 am

Brian Towers wrote: 1) I started writing the times down on my scoresheet for both me and my opponent. Then I looked at games where I got into time trouble to see where the time was going and what kind of moves came out of the long thinks. They weren't blockbusters, more like indifferent indecisive moves.
I can remember a time when a lot of players used to write the move times on the score sheet. I believe though that this is now contrary to the rules to make notes of this kind.

My own time trouble consists of moving far too quickly and it is exacerbated if my opponent also moves quickly. Some games are worse than others but I very rarely approach the time limit in a slow game. It does win me some games when my opponent gets into serious time trouble but I am sure that it would improve my chess to play more slowly, if I could manage it. The longer I think and the more moves I analyse, the more likely I am to lose the thread of the game and play aimlessly.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:40 am

Clive Blackburn wrote: I can remember a time when a lot of players used to write the move times on the score sheet. I believe though that this is now contrary to the rules to make notes of this kind.
Recording of times remains legal.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article

Section 8.1 b
The scoresheet shall be used only for recording the moves, the times of the clocks, offers of a draw, matters relating to a claim and other relevant data.
It's not that well worded, as the name of the event, the date, the board and round numbers, the names of the players, the time control would all fall under "other relevant data". Arbiters can be notoriously pedantic, but the only thing a UK based arbiter might object to is if you started annotating your moves or your opponent's moves with ! or ? whilst the game was in progress.

Francis Fields

Post by Francis Fields » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:56 pm

I think that if you are concerned with your opponents grade then you need more than beginners tips. Psychology often comes into play: overconfidence, playing for a win or draw, etc..