Richmond Rapidplays

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi

1) To assist our budget forecasting, could someone please let me know what the current costs are for game fee, and to whom precisely it applies.

2) Also, can people give an indication whether they would like the new series of Richmond Rapidplays to be FIDE rapid rated. Also what are the direct costs of this, and what is the paper work involved.

3) Also, can people give some indication of what time controls they prefer. e.g. 30 min per player per game, or 25 min per player per game plus 10 second increment per move.

4) Also, can people indicate whether they would be interested in pub blitz afterwards.

Thanks!
Last edited by Paul McKeown on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: 2) Also, can people give an indication whether they would like the new series of Richmond Rapidplays to be FIDE rapid rated. Also what are the direct costs of this, and what is the paper work involved.

The ECF are still fibbing about FIDE requirements.

Under http://www.englishchess.org.uk/membership/info/ which has recently been updated, it says
– It is a FIDE requirement that “to be included in the FRL or FIDE Rapidplay Rating list, a player must be a member of a national chess federation which is a member of FIDE” (FIDE Handbook B.02, paragraph 16.1).
– The ECF will only submit a game for FIDE rating if both players of the game are members of a national federation.
– To enter FIDE rated events membership of the ECF is necessary for FIDE rating purposes.
FIDE Handbook B.02 has changed. What it now says is
13.1 To be included in the FRL or FIDE Rapid/Blitz Rating Lists, a player must be registered through a national chess federation which is a member of FIDE. The Federation must not be temporarily or permanently excluded from membership.
Note the change of wording "member of" to "registered through". Given that many chess federations don't have individual membership, the ratings side of FIDE had interpreted "member" to mean "registered" for many years.

What you do have to worry about when running a FIDE rated event is that every player has a FIDE Identification Number which as far as I am aware can only be issued by the national Federation they want to be shown under in the FIDE rating list. FIDE have a Gotcha, that you could put them under ENG, but FIDE may or will want money to change them back to what they should be. That's in addition to the ECF's membership requirement of course.

(edit) The link to the ECF website gives the membership and non-membership costs or at least it would if they didn't obscure the text with an advert. Your browser may vary. But beware, the cost increases from (I think) 1st September. You may need to consult the Minutes of the meeting that decided these.
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... ersion.pdf

The standard convention as I understand it, is that only Silver membership is required for rapidplays. This is "good" for English players, but bad for foreigners as if it was FIDE rated standard play, they would be exempt from membership requirements.

(/edit)
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Roger, stop bleathering, beating your chest and riding your hobby horses. This isn't the thread for it.

I'm trying to restart the Richmond Rapidplays, and all this bo**ocks isn't helping.

What, practically speaking, are the costs and procedures for the various options?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: What, practically speaking, are the costs and procedures for the various options?
It's in the material I linked to.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Is there anyone here who can give straightforward answers to simple questions? Please?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:11 pm

the main cost is (apart from the hire of the hall and prizes so on) is the invoice from the ECF for every player who takes part who is NOT currently silver or above. That can add up, if you don't identify the non-members and charge them an extra £6 (soon to be £7) each or £4 (soon to be £5) for U16s.

Roger is correct that the main issue with FIDE rating rapidplays is not cost, it is paperwork. You have to make sure everyone NOT English has a FIDE ID. You need the dates of birth for all players with no FIDE ID. You need a club or areas for the grader, or a nationality. You need a FIDE Arbiter. You need to use a program that can make grading and rating easier.

What dates are you thinking of?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks. Adam, for a more direct reply.

So grading fee is £7 / £5 for seniors / U16s for the whole tournament, and that needs to be surcharged to the entry fee. That is the current fee applicable to rapid play.

What are the FIDE rapid rating fees? a) for ECF silver/gold/platinum members b) for others with FIDE rating c) for others?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Paul - I suggest you use private to those that organise or used to in this area.
Wishing you well - best to arrange with no clashes with others local.
I think you will find the main difference between when w/e tournies started to now is more w/e junior chess. Seems ironic bearing in mind how successful Richmond were in linking junior & adult chess.
I may play a bit more chess next season @ the w/e so it is nice to have options.
All for an activity in a pub (not great for juniors) but very successful Chris Clegg Memorial Tournament with no grading indicates to me there are lots of players - "if you build it they will come".
PS Adam has given you a lot of the answers.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:39 pm

Nick,

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by "I suggest you use private to those that organise or used to in this area."

Could you clarify, please?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Sorry missing "message". Nick

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Okay, I see. Is there any reason to PM? Surely the topic is non-controversial and no commercial or personally sensitive information is being published?

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks, Nick.

We were indeed fairly successful in the past in linking junior and adult chess, through running the Richmond Rapidplays as well as through running teams in the Thames Valley League.

We're trying to get back there again, which is one reason why we're considering starting the rapidplays again as well as other options.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: What are the FIDE rapid rating fees? a) for ECF silver/gold/platinum members b) for others with FIDE rating c) for others?
FIDE have been trying to promote their new Rapidplay and Blitz ratings and don't charge any fees yet, so far as I am aware. Billing would be through the ECF who also don't charge anything as far as I am aware.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks, Roger. That's what I thought, although I needed confirmation.

Are there fees to register a rapid play tournament with FIDE?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: What are the FIDE rapid rating fees? a) for ECF silver/gold/platinum members b) for others with FIDE rating c) for others?
The following link should be helpful:
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/membership/game-fees/