Richmond Rapidplays

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:54 am

Dear Chess Friends,

Richmond Junior Chess Club has made progress with its plans to restart the Richmond Rapidplays.

The first of the new series of Richmond Rapidplays will take place on a Sunday in February, at a new venue, Orleans Park School. This new venue, near the heart of Twickenham, will be much more accessible than the old venue, and is more flexible in terms of space and facilities.

Address: Orleans Park School, Richmond Road, Twickenham TW1 3BB
Web-site: http://www.orleanspark.richmond.sch.uk/

The proposal for this year is to run Richmond Rapidplays in 2016 on the following dates:
Sunday 21 February
Sunday 17 April
Sunday 12 June
Sunday 14 August
Sunday 9 October

We could run a 6th Rapidplay, but as Sunday 11 December would clash with the London Classic, and we feel that Sunday 18 December would be too close to Christmas. Therefore, we have decided to leave a gap from October 2016 to January 2017.

We ran an informal poll, from which it was clear that the majority of respondents wished to see the tournaments using increments (rather than quick-play finishes) and FIDE rated. As extra administration is involved, we have decided not to FIDE rate the event in February, but to put in place the requirements for April. The events will use increments in February, and henceforth.

We intend to keep our fans informed using our social media channels:
https://www.facebook.com/RichmondRapidplays/
https://twitter.com/richjunchess (@rich_rapid)
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8458991/

Please sign up, particularly to FB and Twitter. We have set up a mailing list using MailChimp. To sign up to receive our regular newsletter (bi-monthly) and occasional important updates, please use our FB page and sign up using the Email sign-up form. See Apps in left column (desktop FB only). Please sign up!

We are doing everything we can to insure that no-one will be disappointed, given the history of inconvenience that was suffered 3 years ago when the Richmond Rapidplays came to a sad end, under different management.

Best wishes,
Paul McKeown
Manager - Richmond Junior Chess Club

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:08 pm

This is excellent news. I wish you success and I hope to play in at least one event this year.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:23 am

Just in case anyone has not heard, tomorrow will not be the first RR of the new series. It will be Sunday 17 April.

chrisbeckett

Post by chrisbeckett » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi Paul,

Is the April event happening?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes, the Richmond Rapidplays will resume on Sunday 17 April.

Which reminds me that I've got some work to do!

Best Wishes,
Paul McKeown
English Chess Federation Accredited Coach

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Paul,
50/50 if I can make Sunday...depends if my children are staying with my sister in law or if I am minding them...don't usually get to find out until a few days before hand but if I am free I will play (also I am not on twitter or facebook so add me to your mailing list...only came across this thread by chance)
Regards
Martin
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

chrisbeckett

Post by chrisbeckett » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi Paul,

Any news on start times etc yet? Also Is there anyway I can enter online?

Thanks

Chris

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:56 am

Dear All,

Finally at Richmond Juniors we have managed to resolve all the road blocks to re-starting the Richmond Rapidplays.

We will re-start on Sunday, 12th June at Orleans Park School.

Our entry form is attached to this post, complete with all requisite information and instructions. Entries are being accepted from today. All prizes are guaranteed.

Apologies for all the delays, we have had an enormous work-load last term (see our Newsletter for an overview of just a few of our activities), causing us to prioritise.

Looking forward to seeing many of you there - we have a great venue!

Yours,
Paul McKeown

EDIT:- Attached entry form updated a) corrected date for Feb. 2017 event and b) corrected round times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.