Commonwealth Chess Championships

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Francis Fields

Commonwealth Chess Championships

Post by Francis Fields » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:14 am

Has anyone ever played in the Commonwealth Chess Championships and can tell people what they are like?

This summer they are in New Delhi.

James Coleman

Re: Commonwealth Chess Championships

Post by James Coleman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:56 pm

I played in 2004 when it was in Mumbai. The experience was pretty memorable and on the whole I enjoyed it, although I probably wouldn't return. (Cost of getting there, hassle of getting a visa, lots of underrated kids, other places I want to visit etc)

Stewart Reuben

Re: Commonwealth Chess Championships

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:40 am

I have twice been the Chief Arbiter in India for the Commonwealth Championship. Once in Calcutta and once in Mumbai.
Delhi is much more attractive than either of those cities.
The event is usually reasonably well organised when in India. They take the titles and medals very seriously as they are more valuable to Indians than they are to the British contestants.
Often it is an open tournament where the highest placed Commonwealth player wins the title. Champion, Senior, U20, U18...U8 and the whole range for females.
The reason non-Commonwealth players are encouraged to participate is because this is a cheaper source of non-Indian GMs than from Britain.
I would strongly recommend the experience to anybody who has never been to India and to take the opportunity to be a tourist in that part of the country. The opportunity to visit Udaipur, Jodhpur, Jaipur, Agra etc. is not to be missed.