Which Two Books ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Bernard

Which Two Books ?

Post by Chris Bernard » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:36 am

Hi

I'm off to my first international tournament in Crete this summer - Paleochora in Crete - should be lovely.

http://www.chaniachess.gr/International ... ex_en.html

I don't want to pack a lap top and want to keep the luggage light so I wondered which two books have served best for you experienced tournament goers on similar jaunts. Given my grade I'll be lucky to get over 4/9 and so will need general confidence boosting as well.

My thoughts are Simple Chess by Michael Stean (ISBN: 9780486424200) and Chess Training for Budding Champions by Jesper Hall (ISBN-10: 1901983471) or Chess for Tigers by Simon Webb (ISBN: 9780713489880)

but would appreciate direction - not so much books that you feel should be used but books that have actually got you through a tournament.

Thanks

Chris Bernard

Andrew Bak

Re: Which Two Books ?

Post by Andrew Bak » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:50 am

I normally just take a tactics book with me - I like to try and do some puzzles just before the game so my brain is in chess mode.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:31 am

The resort looks really spectacular! :P

Assuming that you have internet access at the hotel to check on openings, games etc, I think that I would take 2 novels rather than chess books and try not to think too much about chess between rounds.

Even better, take an ebook and load it with as many books as you want, chess and non-chess.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:07 pm

Take no chess books - none at all. You won't read them; and if you try, you'll soon get bored. They won't help you anyway.

Instead, take a couple of decent novels. If you're up for it, try novels by Kazantzakis. He's Cretan, and outstanding. Also, pack several T-shirts etc. Paleochora will be very hot in July; and it can get quite windy. So unprotected sun exposure can be troublesome for the inexperienced or gormless. You'll meet plenty of both on the flight out.

Paleochora is indeed very fine. Long sandy beach; quite isolated from elsewhere. The name means Ancient ('paleo') Village ('xora'/'hora'). On your day off, take a trip West to Elafonisi. Then you can die content.

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:23 pm

The obvious 2 chess books to take are 1) How to win with White and 2) How to win with Black

Although, Chess for Tigers would also be a good book to take. It is an excellent book.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Why not take one of each (chess book & story book)?

A Complete Guide to the Grivas Sicilian by GM Efstratios Grivas

You might get to play him and sign his book!?

Also take Sunshine by Alex Garland - a cautionary tale of distant travel and too much sun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ2-xR5 ... r_embedded

"...On your day off, take a trip West to Elafonisi. Then you can die content."

By all means follow the first part of Doc Holiday's advice above and see W. Elafonisi...

But, don't contemplate death after it - live long and prosper instead.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:55 pm

David Robertson wrote: Also, pack several T-shirts ....
Careful with that one.

Chris Bernard

Post by Chris Bernard » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:09 pm

So here i am in sunny Paleochora.

My hotel has a few Russian and Ukranian GM's sitting in the foyer on their laptops (the only place area with wifi). Obviously i am going to find the right time to ask them which two books but i'll keep you all posted.

Guess how long it took the english chess federation to reply to my last minute request at 11.45 this morning to upgrade me to gold membership and get a FIDE id? (Yes i know I should have realised i needed one before today). Whilst i liked the idea of a FIDE rating of zero the tournament still needed a FIDE id.

An hour and a half. Emailed straight back with a solution. Renewed my membership to Gold online (I knew a credit card would come in handy in Greece) and emailed the FIDE id.

A big thanks to Andrew Walker at the English Chess federation.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Chris Bernard wrote:Guess how long it took the english chess federation to reply to my last minute request at 11.45 this morning to upgrade me to gold membership and get a FIDE id? (Yes i know I should have realised i needed one before today). Whilst i liked the idea of a FIDE rating of zero the tournament still needed a FIDE id.

An hour and a half. Emailed straight back with a solution. Renewed my membership to Gold online (I knew a credit card would come in handy in Greece) and emailed the FIDE id.

A big thanks to Andrew Walker at the English Chess federation.
I've always found them top notch in this regard and it's much appreciated.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Chris, you didn't say which books you have taken with you! I'll be interested to hear what you think of the tournament. Good luck!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:52 pm

I, too, can vouch for the efficiency of the ECF when it comes to dealing with them over the telephone.

There are two other English affiliated players in the tournament -

Tim Adams (1808) of Jesmond Chess Club and the excellently named George Karl Sarikakis Bismarck (0)

So, Chris is not a lone soldier.

Don't forget -
David Robertson wrote: ...
Paleochora is indeed very fine. Long sandy beach; quite isolated from elsewhere. The name means Ancient ('paleo') Village ('xora'/'hora'). On your day off, take a trip West to Elafonisi. Then you can die content.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:56 pm

If you have a day off, or time free afterwards, and a decent pair of shoes, a gorge walk is a common thing to do... though might be a bit hot in July. A lot of resorts will have (if you scope out the gift shops) a 'local' booklet written by some mad (typically British) enthusiast on "Scenic walks in the [resortname] area".

EDIT: Indeed, I see that the same sort of thing can now be found online...

Chris Bernard

Post by Chris Bernard » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:19 pm

I've started my survey. What you do if you're a 14 yr old candidate master approaching 2000 is to daily Skype your IM coach back home who has prepared opening plan, special tactics all tailored to your opponent particularly if they are posting the next rounds early (like here). You do not bring any books - none at all.

After my first round thrashing the young champ's dad told me they are allowed to buy books at the end to bring back.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:07 pm

:D Western Crete: Walking in the Kissamos-Alan Hall
Virgil's Aeneid
No chess books!

Chris Bernard

Post by Chris Bernard » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:08 am

My survey continues...

Third round opponent was a student from Thessalonika who confessed he had brought too many opening books one of which I suspect was 2.b3 sicilian. Luckily I had a pm from your serial poster John McKenna to watch out for 2.b3 15 mins before kickoff and so i had done a little prep. What's the world coming to when even lowly players such as myself (my FIDE grade is zero) resort to such nefarious means to avoid opening traps...

I would tell you which two books i have brought but ..... one is an opening book and that opening has yet to arise !