Which Two Books ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: Which Two Books ?

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks, Mick; can you please explain how you did that?
Black could have played 75...Re4 in fact.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:04 pm

I think you mean:
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:06 pm

Tim Harding wrote:For what it's worth, my recommendations for the Ambitious Aspirant:

Training for the next tournament (which may be months away) starts as soon as critical self-analysis of the latest one has been done.

Two books to work through steadily BEFORE the event (not starting the week before):

1. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual (preferably the 4th edition, which takes account of 7-man tablebases). As you say, R+P endings are particularly vital. To avoid the kind of gross errors seen today in Carnstam v Aabling-Thomsen from the second round of the Politiken Cup. (Can somebody please post this as an interactive game as I don’t know how…?) Black’s 76th turned a win into a draw and White’s 90th move returned the favour.

2. “Thinking, Fast and Slow” by Nobel economics prizewinner Daniel Kahneman (recommended to me by GM Jens Kristiansen at last year's world seniors. He had it with him on his Kindle.) It's not easy going; read when fully awake and concentrating. Fortunately it is divided into lots of short sections.

Books to bring to a tournament? These days I would not bring any chess book to a tournament. Least of all a long-outdated opening book like Hodgson & Day on the Grand Prix Attack or Alekhine's Games (full of dodgy combinations probably refutable by the engine on your phone).

Exciting novel or enthralling non-fiction for the plane journey, yes.
At the event itself: many years ago Stefan Fazekas was asked what was the secret of his being the surprise winner of the British Championship. He said it was bringing a boring bedtime book that enabled him to get to sleep swiftly. The Kahneman could fulfil that function too.

The week before the tournament is the time to check whether there are recent high-level games which impact your opening repertoire, and to plug any gaping holes in your openings.
Tim Harding wrote:Thanks, Mick; can you please explain how you did that?
Last edited by John McKenna on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:08 pm

Tim Harding wrote:Thanks, Mick; can you please explain how you did that?
Tim, click on the double quote in the top right hand corner to "reply with quote" and then you can see how it is done.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:14 pm

John, you've made the same mistake Mick made. You have commented out moves 78 through to and including white's 80th. Consequently it is not possible to play through the complete game as you have entered / copied it.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:18 pm

Sorry, Brian, I see you are dealing with the PGN tags but didn't realise you made a correction to Tim's original PGN file.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:26 pm

I only reposted Tim's original post to get it all over onto this page.

I've corrected my post, above, now to reflect your correction.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 pm

A lookup on the tablebase at the Shredder site confirms that Re7+ followed by Re4 is the winning method.

If Kd2 instead, the deflection tactic c3 check is the winner, given that on Kd1, the same idea with c2 check is possible.

Anthony Ibbitson

Post by Anthony Ibbitson » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:02 pm

I certainly agree with Andy Bak with his comments about the tactics book. Maybe one of your repertoire books if you have one to refresh your mind on a few lines. Also good for prep if you have an idea what lines one of your pairings plays. I know this event took place a few years ago now, so how was it?
“Chess is a war over the board. The object is to crush the opponent’s mind." - Bobby Fischer.