Tony Buzan and the Olympiad team

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Tony Buzan and the Olympiad team

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:23 am

I've found my curiosity piqued by various claims in Buzan-organisation material that he has had a role advising the Olympiad team. For instance:
Tony is also an advisor to the international Olympic coaches and athletes and to the British Olympic Rowing squad, as well as the British Olympic chess squads.
Or:
Tony is also an advisor to international Olympic coaches and athletes and to the British Olympic Rowing Squad as well as the British Olympic Chess Team.
Or the passage quoted towards the end here. Or many others, as you can find out yourselves by any combination of the search terms Buzan, Olympic and chess.

Now let us assume that he means Olympiad rather than Olympic and that the squad or team referred to is the English rather than the British (a confusion rather too often made, but that is a different matter). Also let's assume that the present tense of "is" may be incorrect (or dated) and that Mr Buzan is thinking of something that occurred in the past.

Is this claim based on absolutely nothing, or has Tony Buzan ever had any official or unofficial role advising the Olympiad squad?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Re: Tony Buzan and the Olympiad team

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:58 am

JustinHorton wrote: Is this claim based on absolutely nothing, or has Tony Buzan ever had any official or unofficial role advising the Olympiad squad?
This link dates it to 1999 or before.
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/archive ... 486.print/

It contains more or less the same wording as above.
He is an advisor to the international Olympic coaches and athletes and to the British Olympic Rowing Squad and the British Olympic Chess Team.
Going back earlier there's this
http://www.filamentpublishing.com/TDE_C ... an_EPK.pdf

which notes that Keene and Buzan were involved in the Tinsley v Chinook Man v Computer Draughts in 1992.

Also that synopsis gives dates (1988, 1992, 2000) for the British Olympic Rowing Squad.

Nothing recorded about the "British Olympic Chess Team". Using Ray Keene as contact, he could presumably have met any of the squads from 1990 or 1992 onwards.

Ray Keene's last outing as a player at the Olympiad was in 1980. I'm guessing that's too early.

JustinHorton

Re: Tony Buzan and the Olympiad team

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Yeah, especially as the account in the biography suggests that they only met in 1990.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com