Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:30 pm

I've just listened to a report on BBC Radio 4 news about students using specially designed watches to provide assistance in exams. Ring any bells?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:37 pm

NickFaulks wrote:I've just listened to a report on BBC Radio 4 news about students using specially designed watches to provide assistance in exams. Ring any bells?
BBC News article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35716523

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Well, yes, watches are seriously dangerous things to allow :)

Does also rather illustrate just how objectively dumb doing tests which principally evaluate people's raw memory skills is nowadays.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:14 pm

The trouble is that if you test their ability to think you know that most of them will fail.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:08 pm

NickFaulks wrote:The trouble is that if you test their ability to think you know that most of them will fail.
I think the real problem is inventing new questions each year to test thinking: you can't just have the same questions with slightly different numbers (thinking in terms of Maths exams)

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:The trouble is that if you test their ability to think you know that most of them will fail.
I think the real problem is inventing new questions each year to test thinking: you can't just have the same questions with slightly different numbers (thinking in terms of Maths exams)
I think the exam board we use for Maths A level (OCR) has been very good in recent years at inventing new questions, involving the required stretch and challenge.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:25 am

Nick Faulks >I've just listened to a report on BBC Radio 4 news about students using specially designed watches to provide assistance in exams. Ring any bells?<
If it does, then that results in a loss in chess.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:34 am

Bulgarians are back in the news.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/new-case-o ... g-in-chess

It remains my belief that you need to detect the method of inputting the moves to the engine and receiving suggested replies back, before throwing accusations around. In many cases, the circumstantial evidence is obvious enough, that a player had a device in their possession or hidden somewhere to which they had access and periodically appeared to retire to consult it. They may only have been reading their emails or checking the football scores, but such behaviour during a game is now outlawed.

The article raises the question as to whether computer matching should also test use engines from twenty or twenty five years ago. Something I've wondered is whether a test using a modern engine can detect whether a game played by an old engine was computer or human.

Seizing on individual moves as engine inspired may be correct, but doesn't prove cheating as pre game preparation can reach similar positions even if the position itself hasn't appeared in published analysis or an actual game.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri May 27, 2016 10:14 am

The latest story on this.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/cheating-i ... under-1600

As a method of cheating, it was easy enough to detect, provided physical searches were permitted. The report doesn't say whether the accomplice was found.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 27, 2016 10:34 am

"On every stroll I took to the restroom during my games, I could see scores of people discussing and analyzing games on smartphones, right outside the tournament hall."

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri May 27, 2016 4:45 pm

"But one has to feel bad for those players who lost a point against Shrang. Nothing can be done for them. Some of them asked the arbiter for some sort of compensation in the end, but to no avail. All he could do was to report the incident to FIDE."

I don't understand why this should be an insurmountable problem. Surely where a player has lost to a proven cheater, then a notional game could automatically be added by the tournament organiser or FIDE to all the players who played the cheater during the tournament which would correct the rating points lost? ie it would effectively put the offended player in the position as if the game had never happened. Of course one would have to make the assumption that the cheater cheated in every game in the tournament but I would be comfortable with that assumption even if one couldn't prove that it was true.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 27, 2016 4:54 pm

That seems roughly right to me.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri May 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Chris Rice wrote:"But one has to feel bad for those players who lost a point against Shrang. Nothing can be done for them. Some of them asked the arbiter for some sort of compensation in the end, but to no avail. All he could do was to report the incident to FIDE."

I don't understand why this should be an insurmountable problem. Surely where a player has lost to a proven cheater, then a notional game could automatically be added by the tournament organiser or FIDE to all the players who played the cheater during the tournament which would correct the rating points lost? ie it would effectively put the offended player in the position as if the game had never happened. Of course one would have to make the assumption that the cheater cheated in every game in the tournament but I would be comfortable with that assumption even if one couldn't prove that it was true.
I'd assume if a cheater has been found during a tournament, all previous game in that tournament of the cheater should be given as a win to the opponent (similar to exams, if you get caught cheating in 1 exam, you fail the lot)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Fri May 27, 2016 10:23 pm

Mick Norris wrote:I'd assume if a cheater has been found during a tournament, all previous game in that tournament of the cheater should be given as a win to the opponent (similar to exams, if you get caught cheating in 1 exam, you fail the lot)
For rating purposes that seems to make sense, but in terms of results counting in a Swiss Tournament, adjusting results from earlier round may well distort the overall result and in extreme circumstances could encourage cheating :(

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 28, 2016 12:06 pm

David Shepherd wrote: For rating purposes that seems to make sense
I couldn't agree less. A game between two players, one of whom is cheating, adds no information regarding how good either of them is at chess. Lest we forget, that is what the rating system is supposed to be about.