Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger Lancaster

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:28 pm

All the best for tomorrow, Stewart.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:Words cannot begin to express my thoughts on this thread.
I noticed most of it is nonsense :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:55 pm

good luck stewart, today I have a game against someone that has won 1 otb in 8 years at the club and who isn't an ecf member and wont be unless he beats me, his grading was 20 when he had one and whats the betting he plays 'like a grandmaster' which is a euphemism and beats me tonight.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Alan Llewellyn wrote:good luck stewart, today I have a game against someone that has won 1 otb in 8 years at the club and who isn't an ecf member and wont be unless he beats me, his grading was 20 when he had one and whats the betting he plays 'like a grandmaster' which is a euphemism and beats me tonight.
If you are referring to who I think you are, he won't :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Alan Llewellyn wrote:I anlyse my games with computers and 90% of the moves are computer moves so it must be who your playing I would estimate my opponents playing at130 ecf are actually playing 100 ecf higher with 90% computer moves like I said if my grade was 129 and you made 2/3 moves blunders then I would rate you at 20 ecf if that I know 20 grade players than play 50% blunders
I didn't say 2/3 of the moves played were blunders. I said 2/3 of the games contained at least one move that the computer classified as a tactical blunder.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:50 pm

In the early 1960s, IM Francisco Lopez was showing me one of Fischer's games. I predicted about 90% of his moves. He said, 'You play just like Fischer - only quicker'.I remember thinking, when I saw Fischer's moves, 'Of course'. They were so classically elegant and therefore evident.
It is the other 10% that counts and so it is against, or when using, computers.
Ken Regan gave a talk about this matching human moves against those by computers. You must be very careful not to jump to conclusions about cheating.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Stewart, hope all goes well. My mother has the same operation on Wednesday.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Simon. My operation went reasonably well. Of course it takes time to know completely.
I hope your mother's went well today. I also hope she didn't have to spend over 6 hours at the hospital.
I hope to be able to see many of you at the North v South of The Thames match on Saturday. Currently I am looking out from my Twickenham home over The Thames to Richmond. I just took off my glasses, covered my right eye and could still see clearly the wonderful vista

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 pm

" Also Fourier transforms can be used with lenses like ordinary contact lenses to shine an image on the retina from a contact lens or pair of glasses to give a computer analysis of a chess position, which only the observer can see."

I doubt anyone cares, but I am happy to confirm that I discussed the above with someone involved in defence technology, who was unconvinced by it, to put it mildly. I won't repeat the actual words.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:37 am

I'm not so sure that it's all pie-(in-the-sky-)eyed.

The man himself (AML) is in the sin bin - having been red-carded for being too effusively abusive?
He had some difficulty expressing his ideas clearly saying something like - Fourier analysis is the mathematics of bending light... whereas Fourier analysis is a mathematical tool that can be applied to many physical problems.

In his absence I'd just point to the following link (one of many on the subject) -

http://www.google.sr/patents/US20120140300

From which -

The present invention relates to display systems incorporating Fourier optics...

A typical HMD (Head Mounted Display) has either one or two small display units with lenses and semi-transparent mirrors embedded in a helmet, eye-glasses, or...

... will typically include many discrete items of data that need to be checked repeatedly...

The miniaturisation of the display and the personalization of the visibility of the data on it to only authorised wearers is only a whisker away if not already in existence.

That kind of technology, while originating at great expense initially, will find its way eventually to main street. Along with thought controlled personal devices that will only operate at the authorised users' mental behests.

Back to reading Firefox now...

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:03 pm

The poster in question has left the forum.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:20 pm

"The present invention relates to display systems incorporating Fourier optics..."

Yes but, consider these two patents...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_R ... ing_saucer

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publica ... cale=en_ep#

Pedrick worked for the Patent Office and was a very serious man. When he retired he started sending in various strange patent applications, most of which succeeded!

You can patent something which you have not made and really has no serious chance of being made.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:The poster in question has left the forum.
His case seemed to be that most or all of his local opponents were cheating in some unspecified and undetectable manner. His evidence being mostly that they beat him with good moves. Similar claims have been made by titled players.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Saucers are patently obviously not the shape of things to come... the eyes have it -

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 71766.html

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 pm