Do Arbiters Know The Rules Of Chess?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Do Arbiters Know The Rules Of Chess?

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:45 am

I presume it would not be a giant undertaking to take ALL the games ECF graded and put them into a private FIDE Rating System. Then compare the two systems and ratings.
Of course the ECF system is not fit for purpose in one regard. There are only two grading lists a year, FIDE has 12. That is far better at popularising chess.
Paolo's suggestion was only tried by the London Chess Association system as far as I know.
Games played standardplay counted 3 fold.
Games played with quickplay finish in about 3 hours 2 fold.
Adjudicated or rapidplay 1 fold. (I may have that slightly wrong).
Blitz not at all.
It worked well enough with monthly ratings and led to more people playing.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:29 am

Last night I was competing someone and the game dragged on. I dragged out my dinner from my bag and started eating. The arbiter warned me. I asked her to tell me of the artucle prohibiting the playerrs from bringing food and she told me that the food should be routine....

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:32 am

Soheil. You did not say where you started eating. Doing so in front of your opponent is clearly likely to distract him. Away from the playing area it may not be a problem.
Hastings local rule 2015-2016. Refreshments while at the Board. Players must confine their refreshments to tea, coffee and cold drinks.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:49 am

Controversy in the Commonwealth Chamoionships.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/2015-commo ... y-protests

It appears the time rate is 90 30, whilst some of the players were given the impression that it was 40/90 + 30 with 30 second increments. Arbiters programming the clocks to not add the extra time after 40 clock presses doesn't help, although poor clock design in not enabling the clock's opinion of the move count to be displayed is a contributory factor.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Soheil. You did not say where you started eating. Doing so in front of your opponent is clearly likely to distract him. Away from the playing area it may not be a problem.
Hastings local rule 2015-2016. Refreshments while at the Board. Players must confine their refreshments to tea, coffee and cold drinks.
It was at the board, but my opponent didn't object.
My dinner was some Omelet together with some loaf of breads.
I had some chicken fillets the previous night too.

I also invite my opponent to eat from my dinner, as well as others.

The arbiter also told me not to hit the clock.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Soheil. From what you write, the arbiter was correct.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Controversy in the Commonwealth Chamoionships.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/2015-commo ... y-protests

It appears the time rate is 90 30, whilst some of the players were given the impression that it was 40/90 + 30 with 30 second increments.
I was surprised by the following statement from a member of the Appeals Committee:

"... according the FIDE rules, it is always up to the player to know the rules of the tournament. This means, regardless of what announcements the arbiter makes, the players should still read the written regulations of the event. This is quite a shocking occurrence as it means that the arbiter can make whatever mistake he/she likes, but at the end of the day, it is the player who will always suffer."

Anyone know which FIDE rule says this?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:54 pm

Ian >"... according the FIDE rules, it is always up to the player to know the rules of the tournament.<
I would have thought it is also up to the arbiters to know the rules of the tournament!
I couldn't see in the 2014 Arbiters' Manual where this particular point was addressed,
Whenever there was a variation from the normal routine, I always tried to inform the players as much as possible. Thus the last round of the Lloyds Bank Masters used to start one hour earlier. This was stated on the entry form. With notices in the hall. With a note placed on the scoresheet. At the start of the penultimate round. When players handed in their scoresheets. Still players got in wrong.
It is particularly difficult in events where the clocks go forward one hour.

I will bring the need to try to acquaint the players with any changes to the attention of Takis, the Chairman of the Arbiters Commission.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:03 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: I will bring the need to try to acquaint the players with any changes to the attention of Takis, the Chairman of the Arbiters Commission.
By the standards expected in British events, the organisers seemed to believe they could change the basis of the tournament at will. What started as a ten round tournament with morning play and two double round days, became a nine round tournament with one double round day and mostly afternoon play. In that context, players could be forgiven for assuming the entry form move rate of 90 30 had also been changed, if an arbiter said so.

The ECF website has the original entry form
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... C_2015.pdf

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Apart from not making absurd comments, I don't know how the Appeals Committee could have made a different decision.
Moreover the comments of the Appeals Committee should not become public information.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:29 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: Moreover the comments of the Appeals Committee should not become public information.
Really? I much prefer it when Appeal Committees give reasons for their decisions.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:52 pm

I must say that after reading Sabrina's report I have more sympathy with Humpy Koneru than I thought was going to be likely. Yes, a player is supposed to know the time control, but to the point of ignoring an announcement by the Chief Arbiter that, along with many other details, it will be different from the one previously announced?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:34 pm

NickFaulks wrote:I must say that after reading Sabrina's report I have more sympathy with Humpy Koneru than I thought was going to be likely. Yes, a player is supposed to know the time control, but to the point of ignoring an announcement by the Chief Arbiter that, along with many other details, it will be different from the one previously announced?
The report suggests that Koneru would not have withdrawn if the Chief Arbiter had given a full and unqualified apology.

I suspect that the past history between Koneru and the All India Chess Federation has been a factor here.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:07 pm

David S > I much prefer it when Appeal Committees give reasons for their decisions.<
Issuing an official statement can be fine. But that read more like an offhand comment by one of the members of the AC and inflamed the situation.

I was Chairman of the Commonwealth Chess Association and Chief Arbiter of the Championship in Calcutta. The location of the event was changed 5 times and the dates twice. It had been agreed it would be 10 rounds in the afternoon. When I arrived there I found out from a poster for the event that it was 9 rounds with the last round in the morning. It seems little has changed. I had all the players sign a form agreeing to the last round being in the morning. GM Pravin Thipsay still missed this fact. Fortunately I happened to speak to him during the 8th round.

Still, I got to lead a procession of about a thousand people in an open car, accompanying a minister. There are compensations.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:

Still, I got to lead a procession of about a thousand people in an open car, accompanying a minister. There are compensations.
I would have wanted double pay for that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.