Chess in the Olympics

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Neil Graham

Chess in the Olympics

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:03 am

One of many on-line and newspaper reports:-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ar-5872831

Vote now folks!

MJMcCready

Re: Chess in the Olympics

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:33 am

I noted that on the BBC website they describe chess as a genteel game! Nice to see the BBC are well-informed as usual.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:18 pm

I think chess-boxing should get a chance too
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:35 pm

Steven DuCharme wrote:I think chess-boxing should get a chance too
If you believe the periodic hype, it was a shoo-in.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:44 am

See here :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 pm

John Upham wrote:See here :D
The picture caption made me chuckle....

Eccentric Fide president Kirsan Ilyumzhinov

Yes ok, fair comment I suppose.

Not great for the image of the game though.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:40 pm

I wonder which of his many hats Malcolm thinks he is wearing when he uses his Telegraph access in this way. His columns are reminiscent of the limitless "infomercials" allowed to Boris Johnson by the same paper.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Which one(s) do you think he is wearing Nick?

I struggle to think of anyone who works harder for chess both commercially and non-commercially.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:27 pm

NickFaulks wrote:I wonder which of his many hats Malcolm thinks he is wearing when he uses his Telegraph access in this way. His columns are reminiscent of the limitless "infomercials" allowed to Boris Johnson by the same paper.
As you acknowledge, it is a column, not a news report. It seems pretty fair to me. Columns contain opinion.
John Upham wrote:I struggle to think of anyone who works harder for chess both commercially and non-commercially.
Hear. hear.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:25 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:]
As you acknowledge, it is a column, not a news report. It seems pretty fair to me. Columns contain opinion.
Malcolm's work for the Telegraph is as close to reporting of chess as the mainstream British press gets. I agree that it contains much that is opinion, but I don't think it is universally read in that way.

When lampooning Kirsan - and I don't say that is a bad thing to do, although after nearly twenty years it can get a bit boring - I don't know whether he is writing as a business rival, FIDE delegate or just as a journalist who knows what his editor likes.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:48 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:]
I don't know whether he is writing as a business rival, FIDE delegate or just as a journalist who knows what his editor likes.
... or whether he even wrote the caption. Even in today's streamlined media, there are still some surviving sub editors and web editors who will determine precisely how something reads on the page.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:09 pm

Steve Rooney wrote: ... or whether he even wrote the caption.
I think that's a stretch. Even if he didn't choose the exact words, we know where the inspiration comes from.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:50 am

Chess is not a sport in the traditional sense...its a social/cultural pursuit...with considerable history and recreational, educational value.
I do think that such activities should get the same exemptions on tax etc as other non profit sports activities.
When I say `non profit`, for tax purposes, all minor prizes and moderate levels of so called profits/revenues, should be treated as non taxable, in my view.
All such activities need to raise funds to help grow and develop, and as such, provided they are not deemed to be obviously `money spinners`, they should be exempt in my book.
Unfortunately, many govs just seem to see these activities as easy targets for tax raising, instead of allowing them to thrive and encourage our sporting and cultural society.... ridiculously short sighted.
But equally, I think that chess bodies should do more to raise funds for future growth, and for `rainy days`, and not be so penny pinching.
Too many secretaries are too taken with just balancing the books....and don't seek to look to future opportunities, and the funds that might be usefully raised to drive progress.
Also, if chess was to be part of the Olympics, then why not other board games like Bridge, Back Gammon, Monopoly, etc..
I would not be against a Mind sports type of Olympics....it might encourage our youth and others to join up and participate in these valued social/cultural, creative activities.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:12 pm

There is a World Mind Sports Games. I got to play in it (one blitz game) when representing England in Beijing in 2008. I led a team of 9 English players. The other games spread there were Go; Draughts, Chinese Chess and Shogi. WIM Natasha Regan respresented England at Go.

Bridge has the same status as chess in the IOC. Backgammon is a gambling game and, like poker, would be shunned. Monopoly and Scrabble are proprietory games and would not be considered by SportEngland.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:59 am

Chess misses out:

The eight shortlisted federations are: baseball/softball, bowling, karate, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, surfing and wushu.
Any postings on here represent my personal views